Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding credit for upcoming mortgage

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding credit for upcoming mortgage

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide! We are in the process of building a house and will close in the next 7-8 months. Need to improve my fico score 2 in that time frame to get a better interest rate. Current Mortgage Fico Score's are 633, 638, 634.

On the negative side I have some collections (that I'm working on cleaning up), one paid judgement (hoping it falls off in July).

My question is on the positive side.  I don't currently have any open installment loans or revolving credit accounts (I have one authorized user accont that is at 8.5% UTI).  I'm trying to determine if the alliant SSL trick, or opening a secured card account would be beneficial in the next several months?  I have cash for either/both...just not sure what the potential boost could be compared to adding a couple of newly openend accounts.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Rebuilding credit for upcoming mortgage

When your immediate goal is to qualify for a mortgage, you usually have the advantage of a game plan being laid out for you in the form of the underwriting requirements for the type of loan being sought or of the specific lendor you will use.

I would begin, if you are seeking a govenrment insured loan, such as VA or FHA, with carefully reviewing the current agency guidelines and requriments.

If you have a spefic lendor in mind, contact their mortgage department and schedule a chat with one of their loan officers.

That will provide you with specific guidance on the most important steps or items to consider in your improvement plan.

Message 2 of 3
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rebuilding credit for upcoming mortgage

Excellent advice from Robert.  If you know who your mortgage broker is work with them.  You may need an account or 2 though so you have something to grow on.  I started by cleaning and growing at the same time.  I came here for the same reason you did.   Work diligent at cleaning the report, but you need good to offset the bad.  Best of luck!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.