cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding credit to buy a home (fha)

tag
sladaprm

Re: Rebuilding credit to buy a home (fha)

Could you share how you raised your points so quickly?

Message 11 of 15
LadyLeah
Contributor

@lcochran3 wrote:

What process(es) did you use to raise that score so quickly? I have paid off three CCs in the last week and am wondering how long it will take for that to appear as a score improvement. I'm sure I am impatient  - but who wouldn't be? lol

You'll have to wait until the credit cards report to the bureaus. They will typically report right at your statement cut-off date. So whenever your next statement cuts, you can expect to see the score change shortly thereafter. 

Starting Score: 529 EQ | 551 TU | 614 EX | 579 TU FAKO as of 1/12/14
Current Score: 621 EQ | ??? TU | 614 EX | 618 TU FAKO as of 6/23/14
Short Term Goal Score: 650 across the board by 12/31/14

Long Term Goal Score: 720+ across the board by 6/30/15

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 15
LadyLeah
Contributor

@momtothree23 wrote:

And from personal experience is is possible to up your credit score by 30+ points in 4 months?

Oh absolutely. I'm up 16 pts in one month, and I still have quite a few more tasks to accomplish, plus a few items that are going to be removed any day now. By this time next month, I'm hoping/expecting to have gained a total of 30+ pts. I am certain you can do it too. As has been stated, some folks have gained 100+ points in 4 months time. It just totally depends on what is on your credit report and what kinds of successes you have with PFD and GW, and getting your utilization down. 

On my first day in this forum, I read a thread from a guy who had gained 40 pts from getting a Fingerhut card. (I followed suit and only got 3 pts lol). Everyone will have different experiences because it depends on your overall file. But the bottom line is that a 30 pt gain is definitely possible in 4 months. 

Starting Score: 529 EQ | 551 TU | 614 EX | 579 TU FAKO as of 1/12/14
Current Score: 621 EQ | ??? TU | 614 EX | 618 TU FAKO as of 6/23/14
Short Term Goal Score: 650 across the board by 12/31/14

Long Term Goal Score: 720+ across the board by 6/30/15

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 15
Hopingforamortgage
Contributor

I understand trying to gain points for a mortgage, were in the same boat and we're seeing gain. Smiley Happy But I wonder if there won't be negative implications to opening three new charge accounts (FH, the secured card, and the store card) within just months of wanting to buy? Isn't that generally not recommended here within 6-12 months is apping for a mortgage or am I wrong on this one?
Message 14 of 15
djmommy28

I've gained 85pts in two weeks, so YES it is possible! Good Luck. Were in the same boat and I now I need 39pts.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.