Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding credit w/ CapOne secured credit card

tag
tempusfugit123
Frequent Contributor

Re: Rebuilding credit w/ CapOne secured credit card

I wish you the best of luck as well. With your scores Cap1 will unsecure you soon and youll get your deposit back.

Message 11 of 14
DonMzBhavin
New Contributor

I had my secured card right after BK in 05/12, on a whim since the prequalifier never found anything for me, I app'd for the Platinum unsecured on 10/18/12 it approved me for the $500 with the credit builder steps (auto-increase to $750 after 5 on time payments.) Never hurts to try. I was discharged from Chpt 7 BK 08/12

Starting Score: 467
Current Score: 661
Goal Score: 795

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Post BK Wallet: Target VISA $10,000 (AU) | NFCU Credit Card $5,000| Walmart $1100| Cap One Platinum $3000 | Amazon $1150 | Discover It Card $500 | Cap One Secured $500 | PayPal Smart Connect $500 | Lane Bryant $1130| Dressbarn $750 |NY & Company $250| Victoria's Secret $250 | Target Store Charge $200 |Capital One Auto Finance
Message 12 of 14
BearOSO
Contributor

About a month after opening my CapOne Secured I started getting a few pre-approved offers from AMEX and Discover. Not sure if it was just perfect timing or the Cap1 sec card helped me out. With a $500 deposit I received a $651 CL and have added $400 since then and I plan on going up 400 bucks at a time. I plan on leaving a few hundred bucks in between my final deposit and the max to see if CapOne will initiate an auto CLI  (one can hope). 

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all your advices, I appreciate it!

I read few forums and learned that having three CCs will allow me to maximize my FICO score.  Since I was just approved for Cap1 about couple months ago, would it better for me to wait - apping in between 6 months, 1 year, or..?

Also instead of apping and approved for small CLs ($300, $500, etc.) would it be better to increase my credit limit on Cap1 (about $2,000 - lender will consider you "responsible" borrower), have activity for at least 6 months, then apply Apple Barclays, Discover or any "pre-approved" credit cards?

Any advices or suggestions would be great, thank you all!

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.