Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding credit

tag
kysin2014
Contributor

Rebuilding credit

Question.... I had an account with Sterling Jewelers for Jared and the account was included and discharged through my ch. 13 Bk.  This account still reports as "Charged off" and with a balance due.  However, every time i have attempted to have the bureaus correct it to read "discharged thru Bk with a $0.00 balance they wont update it since Sterling Jewelers comes back reporting that what they are reporting is accurate. 
What steps do you recommend that I take to get this corrected permantely?

Thanks for your help.

src="http://ficoforums.myfico.com/html/assets/challenge.png" height="50" border="0" >Starting Score: 620
Current Score: 769
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
kysin2014
Contributor

Re: Rebuilding credit

Question... What steps do you recommed that I take in trying to have a 1 30-day late removed from my credit file? It is for a paid off closed account that was paid off and closed five months ago.  The 30-day late is from six months ago.  I made my payment on the 30th or 31st day which caused this mess.

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.  I would think having this 30-day late removed from my credit file would really help my score go up.

Thanks.

src="http://ficoforums.myfico.com/html/assets/challenge.png" height="50" border="0" >Starting Score: 620

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

BK discharges your obligation for repayment of the debt, but not compel their obligation to delete prior, accurate credit reporting of their actions to obtain payment of the debt before it was discharged.  If they have now updated the balance owed to $0, they have, in my opinion,  fulfilled their credit reporting obligation.

CRAs dont update or have the authority to independently change reporting made by a creditor as to method and means of status of payment or discharge of debt. 

Message 3 of 5
kysin2014
Contributor

Unfortuantely, the balance is still reporting when it shouldn't be since it was discharged thru my ch. 13 bk.

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

As for your 30-day late question, being over 30-days late in paying a billing statement is NOT the same as having a 30-day late reportable late to a CRA.

They are a month apart.

What was the date of the billing statement?  Assuming it carried the traditional 30-day period for payment, and you did not timely or fully pay the minimum within that period, that alone does not make it a reportable 30-day late to a CRA.

Reportable 30-day lates to a CRA mean over 30-days have expired from the due date, without payment, and not 30-days from account billing/delinquency.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.