Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding for mortgage

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding for mortgage

I started my journey to rebuilding credit about 2 months ago and so far Im making progress. Initially all 3 of the bureaus had me at about a 550 score. I had some late payments and items in collections and hospital bills I neglected to pay. I got the collections account deleted and the same for he medical bill. I tried sending out a goodwill letter for the late payments but the creditors said they don't adjust reports unless it was inaccurate. So basically I have 1 secured credit card with no lates with a $50 balance and $500 credit limit. 4 student loan accounts that all come from 1 loan that's has a $12,800 balance that I had a late payment on in February but it's been on time since. I have a loan with conns for $1,700 with no lates that I've had for about 7 months now. And my last account is a vehicle loan with the last late being January of this year, the balance on it is $13,800, I've had this loan for 4 years now and I'm expecting to pay it off in December of next year. I'm unable and scared to get new credit cards because the last time I inquired about 3 weeks ago it dropped my score 19 points. I make about $70,000 a year by myself and I'm looking into trying to get a mortgage. My current MyFico scores from the app are, Transunion: 648, Equifax: 630, Experian: 642. I really don't have anything bad on my report besides late payments I can't do anything about and inquiries. Tried getting a credit card and was denied. I'm not sure what I can do anymore to get it raised besides just paying everything monthly. 

Edit: Just to add that when I last inquired for a credit card I settled on a previous credit card with usaa but they only subtracted the settled amount from the amount owed. I disputed it and today they updated those accounts with a $0 balance, maybe this was why I kept getting denied. It had a $2000 limit with $1300 used. But now the account is closed with a balance of $0

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuilding for mortgage

You really want to work at getting your late payments removed.  You said you sent a letter.  You need to send letterS.  Plural.  Lots of them.  I've sent over 100 to a single creditor, but eventually they cracked.  You can read about what I call the Saturation Technique here:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/The-Saturation-Technique-Best-GW-adjustment-o...

Getting your late payments removed would be the single greatest thing you could do to improve your score and position yourself most favorably to apply for a mortgage in the future.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info. Once they sent the letter saying they won't change anything I just thought they were final with that decision. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not uncommon to get a handful of denial letters and then one day getting the response you were looking for.  I received probably 30+ denials from both Wells Fargo and Synchrony Bank before someone finally sent me a "yes" response.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since my charged off credit card now shows a balance of $0 should I now try and apply for a credit card? If so which company or card would be best? 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try a pre-qualification first.  Capital One, Chase, Discover, and American Express have them.  I'm sure there are more.  That way you aren't risking the hard pull.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I checked out some of the preapprovals and decided to try American Express everyday card and was approved. The credit limit is only $500 but I'm just happy to be able to get one at all. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.