Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding is so hard

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding is so hard

I just came to vent on rebuilding. Just when you think you are doing good, your score drops. I traded in a car that I still owed on, as soon as it reported paid in full, my score dropped 17 points. New car loan reported on some reports no change, on one an increase. My scores are constantly changing. Once I'm in the 600 club in all 3 I get knocked down in one. I'm just frustrated. I think I just need to start paying all my cards off.

What advice does anyone have as for helping increase my credit score?

Little info:

Two collection accounts with balances

A repo from years ago that via Credit Karma has been removed

Student loans that are current and open

Student loans that are closed with some past dues.

Most of my cards have a balance on them

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuilding is so hard

What kind of balances are on your credit cards?

Can you PFD on your collection accounts?

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I just came to vent on rebuilding. Just when you think you are doing good, your score drops. I traded in a car that I still owed on, as soon as it reported paid in full, my score dropped 17 points. New car loan reported on some reports no change, on one an increase. My scores are constantly changing. Once I'm in the 600 club in all 3 I get knocked down in one. I'm just frustrated. I think I just need to start paying all my cards off.

Little info:

Thanks in advance!

Thats going to be your easiest path to points right there. You want all but one card to report $0 balance, and on one card let it report a small balance of less than 10% of its limit.

Message 3 of 7
kjel
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Little info:

Thanks in advance!

Rebuilding is a roller coaster ride scorewise, it will go up and down-just hold steady. The main thing you can do is pay off all your balances and just use the Navy Fed card as your main one, don't carry any more than 9% of your combined total credit limits in any given month. For you that's about $250. PAY EVERY THING ON TIME ALL TIME, even your non reporting bills.

Work on negotiating a pay for delete on the collections which will help. You might also reach out to your former student loan lender/servicer for a goodwill adjustment since they are now closed/paid. I was able to do this last year by writing a nice letter explaining why I had fallen on hard times, what I had done to right myself, and how I wanted to be able to own a home again. They removed the lates from 6 tradelines so they show paid, never late.

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sad to say, but high balances. None are not past due and no lates. I could possibly do PFD for one, but the other is $800 and don't have it to pay right away.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Sad to say, but high balances. None are not past due and no lates. I could possibly do PFD for one, but the other is $800 and don't have it to pay right away.

I would also suggest apping for a couple of Capital One cards and dump Credit One. As long as you don't have a recent charge off with them, you should get approved.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Everyone has given some good advice. Now for me to execute them. If I could only get that NFCU card paid down. Ugh.....

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.