Re: Rebuilding score from 522...Help!

us bank secured should be approved

blue sky secured doesnt check credit

sdfcu secured doesnt check credit

if you get all 3 and only neg is a few lates imo would have 620+ in 6 months

Message 11 of 18
JamZone85

Ok first please pull all 3 of his scores annualcreditreport.com it's free every year.

This will show you how each bureau sees his credit-

Second you said he can get on your cards- what type of cards do you have ? What's your credit like? I have someone in my credit card and it reports to the bureaus. Don't add him as an authorized user-add him as an account holder . T he difference of course is the account user or co borrower gets reported to the same credit bureaus as the borrower .

After you've done all the research which each bureau go to creditboards.com they have a tool u can use to see which credit cards pull which reports -
example: Equifax may be is highest score so you input his score select EQ and search- it provides people's success stories that have the same score and 9/10 he will be approved
Message 12 of 18
stefnian0426
Regular Contributor

Thank you.

I am sorry, It is a secured card. He originally put down $300. that account is now closed. I had called BoA and asked if they can take off the late payments but no luck. Will call a few more times in hopes i get another person who can help with that, in the mean time. The goodwill letter to them went out in the mail today.

I will look into the US and other cards- thank you so much for that info.

Would applying again hurt him though? He has 2 inquiries this year. One from the Cap one and another from something i am going to dispute as we did not authorize it. (But incase that does not happen, i will just say he has two inquiries)

My cards are store cards from comenity bank. I have the mandees card, victoria secret card (shopping cart trick) and when i got the shopping cart trick for kingsizedirect.com they actually sent me two different credit cards. I didn't call to close one though because i didn't want that to show on my report.

I also plan to have him to go Aarons and lease something. I leased something with them two years ago and it still shows on my credit report, actually it is my oldest account. And mine states paid in full/never late/closed. So i am hoping that will help a little bit with him also (since it will be an installment on his CR)

The past few months i have been lowering everything to get our bills down to practically much nothing so financing a vehicle makes me a little nervous. Hopefully he can get a card or two as i would much rather save and pay for a car in full.

Again- i just want to thank all of you for the great advice. you have been a really big help and it is very much appreciated!

Message 13 of 18
DWill02
Established Member

What is NFSU? My RLO told me I need to open a secured card, because my score is in the 560s,but on transunion its reporting 623. I am also trying to buy a home within the next 6 mths.

Starting Score TU EQ EX 626
Current Score TU EQ EX 573 (4/22/14)
(10/12/15)TU 653 EQ 642
Goal 750 all 3

Texas Trust Credit Union Secured MC Cd $300 limit
Capital One unsecured $500
Credit One unsecured $600
Victoria Secret $250
Message 14 of 18
DWill02
Established Member

Hello, what is DG and AU?

How are they able to repor with a SSN?

Starting Score TU EQ EX 626
Current Score TU EQ EX 573 (4/22/14)
(10/12/15)TU 653 EQ 642
Goal 750 all 3

Texas Trust Credit Union Secured MC Cd $300 limit
Capital One unsecured $500
Credit One unsecured $600
Victoria Secret $250
Message 15 of 18
dho
Valued Member

I would definately apply for the Cap One secured card.  I have one and I told a friend of mine to apply and she got it too.  I say that because she is not even employed right now.  She did have to put up the whole $200.  It may be a good thing and just give yourself a little more time to buy the house.  Delaying your plans a little longer will help you and releive some stress from tring to get everything done so quickly.  For his credit score to move up over 100 points in a short matter of time may not be possble.  However I am confident that you will reach your goal in a matter of time. 

Starting Score: 595
Current Score: 649
Goal Score: 712

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 18
dho
Valued Member

Are you sure he was denied?  Sometimes what seems like a online denial can end up being that they send you a letter in the mail of approval.  The same thing happened to my friend.

Starting Score: 595
Current Score: 649
Goal Score: 712

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 18
stefnian0426
Regular Contributor

He was originally denied because he answered "no" to the questions... do you have a savings/checking account.

He reapplied and was approved. $99 down and they would send the card... Thank god! lol. the first one also didn't show on his credit report so that is also a plus.

In a few weeks i plan to add a few hundred to the card to boost the limit some, so hopefully that would help a little also.

Thank you everyone for your help. As we have had bad credit and a ton of bills, it is a great feeling to know that we are getting it all together.

We also plan to wait until summer 2015 to apply for a mortgage as i would love to have our scores up in the 700's, have at least 3 months mortgage saved in bank and any/all bills paid for.  Saving for a bigger down payment would also be a plus too!

Again- thank you everyone!

@dho wrote:

Are you sure he was denied?  Sometimes what seems like a online denial can end up being that they send you a letter in the mail of approval.  The same thing happened to my friend.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.