Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding score help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding score help!

Hi all, I just stumbled upon this forums few weeks ago, and really loving the atmosphere here! I am currently trying to rebuild my score to app for a mortgage in early 2013. Current score I got from selectidtheftprotection.com are EXP 541, TU 510, EQ 618. I have 2 unsecured cards from cap1, one from 2007 with 1k cl and 130 in balance, other opened in 2010 with 1250 cl and 145 in balance. I just got approved for an auto loan for 13k at 6.65% at my CU here in Texas and per approved from cap1 for 24k at 11.90% (didn't take this one). My CU only reports to equifax Smiley Sad, didn't find out until sign off on loan. Additionally, I have about 7-8 collections over 8k each from CC accts I defaulted on over 4 years ago. According to my report, these have high effect on my score. The auto loan hasn't shown up on the report yet, I signed off on it last week. My question here is, should I continue to meet utilization rate low and my cap1 unsecured card and make timely payments and garden for 6 months to a year to see, or should I apply for more cards? I also have 2 movado charge accts with $4500 in CL that haven't been closed, zero blance since 2006-2007 that I could try to put a small balance on for them to report and have more positive lines on my report. Any insigs would be greatly appreciated. I'm also looking into FHA loan with wellsfargo, been looking into it and they do approve for borrowers with sub 600 score. However, I'm aiming for higher score for better rate. Should I apply for more cards (which would you recommend?) or just wait and garden for awhile?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
izzesparks
Frequent Contributor

Re: Rebuilding score help!

Sorry its really late here, and I am headed to bed, but wanted to say a little something to you before I sign off, I will try to say more tomorrow.

First Welcome to MyFico! It is a great community and very addictive LOL!

Second I wouldn't apply for anymore cards, you are doing very well with your utilization, just keep it up. Also have you tried asking the CU if they wouldn't mind reporting to the other 2 bureaus? Never hurts to ask.

Third I would just focus on Paying off the collections, try doing PFD's, or negotiate a settlement offer and then send GW letters. And ALWAYS get any settlements or offers or agreements in writing before paying!

Ok if no one hasn't it done it by then, I will send you some helpful links tomorrow, have a great nite! Smiley Wink

Starting Score: TU-470 4/11/19, EQ-482 4/11/19, EX-486 4/11/19
Current Score: TU-507 7/18/19, EQ-517 7/18/19, EX-508 7/18/19
Goal Score: TU-700, EQ-700, EX-700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi all, I just stumbled upon this forums few weeks ago, and really loving the atmosphere here! I am currently trying to rebuild my score to app for a mortgage in early 2013. Current score I got from selectidtheftprotection.com are EXP 541, TU 510, EQ 618.
I have 2 unsecured cards from cap1, one from 2007 with 1k cl and 130 in balance, other opened in 2010 with 1250 cl and 145 in balance. I just got approved for an auto loan for 13k at 6.65% at my CU here in Texas and per approved from cap1 for 24k at 11.90% (didn't take this one). My CU only reports to equifax Smiley Sad, didn't find out until sign off on loan. Additionally, I have about 7-8 collections over 8k each from CC accts I defaulted on over 4 years ago.
According to my report, these have high effect on my score. The auto loan hasn't shown up on the report yet, I signed off on it last week. My question here is, should I continue to meet utilization rate low and my cap1 unsecured card and make timely payments and garden for 6 months to a year to see, or should I apply for more cards? I also have 2 movado charge accts with $4500 in CL that haven't been closed, zero blance since 2006-2007 that I could try to put a small balance on for them to report and have more positive lines on my report.
Any insigs would be greatly appreciated. I'm also looking into FHA loan with wellsfargo, been looking into it and they do approve for borrowers with sub 600 score. However, I'm aiming for higher score for better rate. Should I apply for more cards (which would you recommend?) or just wait and garden for awhile?

hi and welcome to the forums,

I spaced out your post, so it's just a little easier to read.Please understand i am trying to be helpful. You may get more replies this way.If you want to, you can edit your post by clicking on the options, then edit.

The scores you pulled are not FICO scores, they are what we call FAKO's. Your real FICO Scores maybe higher or lower, everyones different.The only FICO Scores a consumer can get are EQ and TU. Because EX can only be pulled by a loan officer at a bank,CU or a mortgage lender.Here at myFICO you can purchase the EQ FICO and the TU FICO.For more info you can check out this thread...Son of Credit Scoring 101

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all! I will cancel my membership with selecttheftidprotection service. Would my utilization rate base on my two credit cards with cap1 right now or does it include Collections as well?
Message 4 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I'll throw out there that the report content and report data from selectidtheftprotection.com is OK if you want to keep tabs on what's on your reports. IIRC, I used Trigiliant before (selectidtheftprotection.com is a resell). But ditto. Ignore the scores and any advice.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

More insights please, really need opinions, thanks in advanced!
Message 6 of 7
izzesparks
Frequent Contributor

Well for now, the only thing I can tell you is that NO lender especially Wells Fargo, will approve a home loan if you still have unpaid collections on your reports.

Really that is the best advice I can give you right now including all the advice you have been given above from everyone else.

1. Pay all collections off

2. Offer PFD's, send Goodwill letters

3.Use Fico scores, not fako scores

4. keep utilization low

5. I would NOT apply for anymore cards right now

6. Ask CU about reporting the loan to the other bureaus

7.Do not miss any payments on new car loan

According to some lenders having more than 3-5 tradelines can be excessive, and in my experience they may ask you to close a couple of them before approving you, so dont apply for anymore, you have enough and with the car loan you have a good mix of them.

DONT close any of your cards either, its good to have a long history, so keep them til you start shopping for lenders, and they will advise you of a course of action appropriate to their standards.

Ok HTH!

Starting Score: TU-470 4/11/19, EQ-482 4/11/19, EX-486 4/11/19
Current Score: TU-507 7/18/19, EQ-517 7/18/19, EX-508 7/18/19
Goal Score: TU-700, EQ-700, EX-700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.