Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding... where do I begin?

tag
CashBuyer
New Visitor

Rebuilding... where do I begin?

Hi guys!  I'm new at all of this stuff, so please be gentle.  Smiley Tongue

Anyway, in 2000 my (ex)husband and I filed Chapter 7 to discharge about 15k in credit cards, two car repossessions and a few other misc things.  He and I divorced in 2001, at which time I decided to live a "simpler" life without debt.  I rented an apartment where all my utilities were included, I drove an old car  that was paid off, and I incurred ZERO debt/credit liabilities.  No credit cards, no loans, prepaid cell service, if I didn't have the cash, I didn't buy it.

Last week my car finally gave up, and at a time that I didn't have the cash to fix it.  In desperation, I decided to apply for a car loan, and was shocked when the only place willing to finance me wanted $1600 down on a 21k loan, and more outrageously at a 18% APR.  A buy here-pay here place wanted info and contact info on like every relative and friend I had.  No thanks.  This spurred me to check my credit after 14 years.  Ordering my combined credit reports, Equifax and Experian required that I contact them via mail. Somewhere along the line I got a message about a "thin file." TransUnion was available, and this is what I found:

* Name, SSN were correct

* My TransUnion report said I had been on their files since 1993

* The address I've lived at for the past 13 years was not listed.  A "Special Messsage" on the bottom of my report says that my address is a hotel/motel or temporary housing.  (the front two building of the complex are available as daily rentals, but the majority of units are all inclusive monthly rentals)

* My old address from 1998 was listed, as well as 9 other addresses I am unfamiliar with. (in 2 other states)

* 9 phone numbers were listed.  None correct.

* My current employment data reflects the correct information, verified in 2000  (18 years at same employer)

* 5 collections accounts totaling approx 6k were listed.  Four of them appear to be medical related (all say that they will be removed in 1/2019), and one is listed as Rental/leasing (set to be removed in 2/2019) 

Anyway, all that considered, this incorrect information seems like it's really screwing up my credit rating.  In an effort to start a positive credit line, I applied for a First Progress card and was apparently declined.  Applying for a Brylane Home card resulted in a message that I would receive a decision in the mail.  I'm assuming also a decline.  I applied for a Fingerhut card, and received an "offer" to purchase $50 worth of their crap, pay only $30, and a credit line of $130 (minus the balance of my purchase) would be all mine.  Yay!  (not)

With all this considered, where would you guys recommend that I begin in straightening out this whole mess?  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!  Heart   

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rebuilding... where do I begin?

@CashBuyer wrote:

Hi guys!  I'm new at all of this stuff, so please be gentle.  Smiley Tongue

Anyway, in 2000 my (ex)husband and I filed Chapter 7 to discharge about 15k in credit cards, two car repossessions and a few other misc things.  He and I divorced in 2001, at which time I decided to live a "simpler" life without debt.  I rented an apartment where all my utilities were included, I drove an old car  that was paid off, and I incurred ZERO debt/credit liabilities.  No credit cards, no loans, prepaid cell service, if I didn't have the cash, I didn't buy it.

Last week my car finally gave up, and at a time that I didn't have the cash to fix it.  In desperation, I decided to apply for a car loan, and was shocked when the only place willing to finance me wanted $1600 down on a 21k loan, and more outrageously at a 18% APR.  A buy here-pay here place wanted info and contact info on like every relative and friend I had.  No thanks.  This spurred me to check my credit after 14 years.  Ordering my combined credit reports, Equifax and Experian required that I contact them via mail. Somewhere along the line I got a message about a "thin file." TransUnion was available, and this is what I found:

* Name, SSN were correct

* My TransUnion report said I had been on their files since 1993

* The address I've lived at for the past 13 years was not listed.  A "Special Messsage" on the bottom of my report says that my address is a hotel/motel or temporary housing.  (the front two building of the complex are available as daily rentals, but the majority of units are all inclusive monthly rentals)

* My old address from 1998 was listed, as well as 9 other addresses I am unfamiliar with. (in 2 other states)

You can dispute and have the incorrect addresses removed.  As far as the "Special Message", I've never seen or hear of that one.

* 9 phone numbers were listed.  None correct.

Again, you can dispute and then update your correct contact information.

* My current employment data reflects the correct information, verified in 2000  (18 years at same employer)

* 5 collections accounts totaling approx 6k were listed.  Four of them appear to be medical related (all say that they will be removed in 1/2019), and one is listed as Rental/leasing (set to be removed in 2/2019) 

Did you or one of your dependants have any medical bills from 2years ago that you would have been responsible for??  Judging from the removal date, they would have been from around 01/2012  Same goes for the rental/leasing, did you rent/lease anything 2 years ago?  

Anyway, all that considered, this incorrect information seems like it's really screwing up my credit rating.  In an effort to start a positive credit line, I applied for a First Progress card and was apparently declined.  Applying for a Brylane Home card resulted in a message that I would receive a decision in the mail.  I'm assuming also a decline.  I applied for a Fingerhut card, and received an "offer" to purchase $50 worth of their crap, pay only $30, and a credit line of $130 (minus the balance of my purchase) would be all mine.  Yay!  (not)

You will need to clean some of these up, then maybe start with a secured card and then garden it a bit to build some positive credit.

With all this considered, where would you guys recommend that I begin in straightening out this whole mess?  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!  Heart   

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 6
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

I actually heard the fingerhut starter program will help if you use it correctly it will turn into revolving credit.

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 3 of 6
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

Yes the fingerhut will help. when i started rebuilding fingerhut was one i was offered. i took it...even though their stuff is a little high i got a 47 point increase. you gotta start somewhere. at least to get some positive history reporting.
Message 4 of 6
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

Message 5 of 6
titanofold
Established Contributor

Yes, you'll want to dispute that which is incorrect on your reports.

Once those are cleared off, you should skip First Premier and Credit One. Instead, consider going with a secured CC from either your bank or some local CU. In fact, once you have the bad stuff off your reports, your chances at getting store CCs are much higher, so you can try for the Lane Bryant card again.

There are a couple secured CCs that don't check your CRs first: Open Sky Visa and SDFCU EMV Savings Secured Visa Platinum Card. You can start off with both of them. Within 6 months to a year of use and good payments you'll be looking good to other CCCs.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.