Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding with Capital One

tag
RedHeadGirlLA
New Contributor

Rebuilding with Capital One

I’m rebuilding my credit and have a question.  I recently (2 months ago) got Capital One Platinum Card with a limit of 1,000. I wondering if I should also get the Quicksilver card too.  Would this hurt of help me?  Thoughts?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuilding with Capital One

If you have received your second statement, hop in cap one chat and ask if your Platinum is eligible for upgrade to Rewards status. They will change it to a QS with no AF.

Check cap one pre-qual site for QS 1, get it for 2nd unsecured card.
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also - people have had luck asking for CLI after the 2nd statement - I did about a week after my 2nd statement and got bumped fro $500 to $1500.    You could try it.  Also was able to get rewards status.....

Message 3 of 14
p-
Valued Contributor

RedHeadGirlLA wrote: I’m rebuilding my credit and have a question.  I recently (2 months ago) got Capital One Platinum Card with a limit of 1,000. I wondering if I should also get the Quicksilver card too.  Would this hurt of help me?  Thoughts?

If you are rebuilding, you are better off building up six to twelve months of good payment history before applying for a top-tier card with another bank.  Try to avoid the app-spree as a bunch of new credit makes you look like a credit risk to potential lenders.  As other have said, try to grow this account with soft pull increases every six months and product changes to the card you want.  Capital One will grow with you if you approach them the right way.  

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RedHeadGirlLA wrote:

I’m rebuilding my credit and have a question.  I recently (2 months ago) got Capital One Platinum Card with a limit of 1,000. I wondering if I should also get the Quicksilver card too.  Would this hurt of help me?  Thoughts?

Yes you should also app for the QS1 card (not the Quicksilver). No it will not hurt you. As you build your limits up on both accounts, when your scores are in the upper 600's, app for the regular Quicksilver, and roll the QS1 into your older upgraded Platinum account.

Message 5 of 14
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@RedHeadGirlLA wrote:

You should be qualified for QS1 the least, depending how you use your Platinum Card!

If you wait till the 3rd statement they could upgrade you to QS or QS1 possibly, CapOne loves heavy usage! Keep the utilization low before statement cut and you should receive big CLI and product upgrade.

In the past nine months I have received 2 CLI and upgrade from QS1 to QS

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CYBERSAM wrote:

@RedHeadGirlLA wrote:

You should be qualified for QS1 the least, depending how you use your Platinum Card!

If you wait till the 3rd statement they could upgrade you to QS or QS1 possibly, CapOne loves heavy usage! Keep the utilization low before statement cut and you should receive big CLI and product upgrade.

In the past nine months I have received 2 CLI and upgrade from QS1 to QS

Just to clarify - you must ASK for the QS upgrade. They don't do it automatically. And they will only do one automatic CLI. You must request the others. Thier policy is one after the second or third statement, and then the auto-increase at six months, then its limited to one increase every six months.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes you should also app for the QS1 card (not the Quicksilver). No it will not hurt you. As you build your limits up on both accounts, when your scores are in the upper 600's, app for the regular Quicksilver, and roll the QS1 into your older upgraded Platinum account.

What exactly is achieved by rolling the QS1 into the regular Quicksilver card?

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What exactly is achieved by rolling the QS1 into the regular Quicksilver card?

You get rid of the pesky Annual Fee.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

How exactly is this done? Do you just ask them to upgrade it to the Quicksilver or is it something they do on their own?

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.