Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding with credit cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding with credit cards?

I am in the process of rebuilding my credit (aren't we all?) I have 5-6 medical collections on my report, and I had medicaid so there is actually only 1 that is accurate, the otehrs should of been paid by medicaid. I never received a bill or anything from the hospital, just got a new car and was notified of the collections. So I have some disputing to do there. I have a tmobile acct, verizon acct and att acct all in collections, I owe around $200-$400 on each, I plan to pay these one by one, but that is going to take some time as I don't have all the funds to pay them all off at once at the same time. I have a charged off victorias secret card from about 4 years ago, I get settlement offers all the time on that one, next time I get one, I'm going to pay it/take the offer.

I applied for the cap1 secured and was approved with a $200 deposit, paid it and waiting for the card to arrive, it's actually probably in my mailbox now I just gotta check it Smiley Wink
My question is, I know I need to take care of the baddies on my CR, but as I said it's going to take time bc I just don't have the funds to pay everything at once. I'm probably going to be paying one a month over the next 3-6 months, and then begin the GW process (will try PFD first though of course) I would like to build some good payment history with my cap1 card, and am curious if I should get another secured card as well, or if the 1 will suffice? My current scores are 536, 536, and 530, I really want to get them to 620 (Mid score at least) by the end of the year to buy a house. I know that may not happen, but i'm hoping with hard work it wil!! So my question is, should I get another secured card? Or use the cap1 card for a few months then try for an unsecured card? Not necessarily cap1 unsecured, but any unsecured... thanks in advnace!!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuilding with credit cards?

To answer your question...yes, you should get another credit card or two.  I'd look at Bank of America and Wells Fargo.  I have a Credit One secured card, but I would advise against it highly.  DO NOT apply for a First Premier card, their interest is 36.99 percent and that is predatory.  

My suggestion is to spend the time trying to PFD all of the derogs first.  Some will advise to send letters, in my case of the medical collection, I called the creditor than the CA.  When I did, I got everything in writing as recommended.  Some of the CAs will balk at the PFD offer, but be presistent.  I would not just go and pay without trying to get something out of the deal, as removal of negative marks and going the GW route.

In regards to buying a home, I'd spend as much time as possible in saving and building your credit score to the highest possible over the next year.  I know the desire to buy a home is strong, but having a proper down payment and a great interest rate is equally as important.  A score of 620 is just getting you by, a score of 720 puts you in the position to win.  

Good luck 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is possible, I can attest. I got rid of all of my 6 collections through PFD and DV I never went the GW route but I've seen a lot of success around here. My plan of attack was one per month and some months if the amount was small possibly 2. I got rid of my collections by the End of Dec 2014 and started on September. It is indeed an investment, but completely worth it Smiley Happy for the Medicaid accounts call Medicaid and ask them to fax proof of coverage to collection agency, this got rid of my last 2 collections. Good luck!!
Message 3 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

If you end up having to pay some of those medical charges then I would look into the HIPAA Process. Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've looked into the HIPPAA process and it confuses me so much lol I wish it could be discussed here! Haha I have 1 medical collection for $29 I'm just gonna pay.. Cause it's only $29. The rest Medicaid should of paid so I gotta try and take care of that!
Message 5 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I've looked into the HIPPAA process and it confuses me so much lol I wish it could be discussed here! Haha I have 1 medical collection for $29 I'm just gonna pay.. Cause it's only $29. The rest Medicaid should of paid so I gotta try and take care of that!

Hold on, before you pay that to the CA, call the OC ask them to recall it and then settle with them, if they will do it that CA entry on your report is gone. As far as the HIPAA Process you can contact its creator for assistance... Up to you.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was an ER visit, so I should call the hospital?
Message 7 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
It was an ER visit, so I should call the hospital?

Yup, their accounting department.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.