Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuttal?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuttal?

I asked my creditor to remove two late payments and sent them a goodwlll adjustment letter. They say this -

"Management is aware of the emails between us as I was told by management that we cannot adjust what was reported to the bureaus."

What should be rebuttal to this? Can they legally change info that was submitted to credit bureaus? if so, how?

Thanks

Sal

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rebuttal?

@Anonymous wrote:

I asked my creditor to remove two late payments and sent them a goodwlll adjustment letter. They say this -

"Management is aware of the emails between us as I was told by management that we cannot adjust what was reported to the bureaus."

What should be rebuttal to this? Can they legally change info that was submitted to credit bureaus? if so, how?

Thanks

Sal

Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

There is no requirement that anyone report anything to a CRA the law states that if they do report it must be correct. Getting a GW deletion can take time all you an do is continue to contact the CEOs office on a regular schedule and ask for the GW. The older the item is the greater the chance of success. They dont have to report as I have already said and it its a late they can change it to ND which means no data for that month so it is in their control.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for reply. They have already reported it. I am asking for deletion. They say that once it's been reported, they can't change it. Is it true? What should I say to them?

If it cannot be deleted by them, what will be my point of sending all letters.

Message 3 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for reply. They have already reported it. I am asking for deletion. They say that once it's been reported, they can't change it. Is it true? What should I say to them?

If it cannot be deleted by them, what will be my point of sending all letters.

As I have said they can change it if they want to. The point is you at least tried to get them to give you the GW deletion. My longest one took a letter a month for 3 years before I got what I was after. Credit repair is not a race but a marathon things can take time once you get what you are after then the satisfaction to yourself of a job well done is a great feeling. I am going to refer you to our GW letter thread which can give you some ideas on this.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Stories/td-p/1573680

Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yes, they most certanly can change information after it has been reported.

In fact, if they become aware that any information was either incorrect when reported, or has changed so that it is no longer accurate, such as a balance, they are REQUIRED to promptly correct the information.  FCRA 623(a)(2).

However, when they are referring to deletion of accurate information, that is a different scenario.

The CRAs jointly have a specific policy instructing all furnishers not to delete derogs based on payment of the debt.

That policy is included in their credit reporting manual and credit reporting agreements, and has the goal of maintaing the completeness of consumer credit information.

They did not mean that they cannot adjust any information once reported, they mean that they cannot delete accurate information as a subjective matter of good-will.

Rebutting that position is more likely to create ill rather than good-will.

They need no reason not to delete, and arguing their basis is not likely to promote good-will.

I would recommend obtaining the name of a higher management official who has authority to grant an exception to their normal non-deletion policy, and making the pitch to them.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for update. The problem occurred when they confirm me on phone that missed payments will not go to credit report as I am out of country for medical treatment. So, I did not worry about. But now they say that they meant it only for two months and not next two months. That's why I am so unhappy about all this.

I am still out of country for medical treatment

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Guys,

Your help is very valuable. What is best strategy to maintain good credit while on medical treatment and not working? All my money is going in for medical treatment.

Thanks

Sal

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.