Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received Collection letter 10/04/2014

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Received Collection letter 10/04/2014

Hi everyone I received a collection letter this past saturday.

I called to see if they had already reported to the CRA's and they refused to give me a clear answer.

All the rep said was that he would make a noted that the collection was paid in full which would be no help at all.

My question is should I send them a PFD or should I pay them and hope that they have not yet reported?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

Re: Received Collection letter 10/04/2014

It's more than likely not on your reports, but if you don't pay them, it will be. 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your quick response but what happens if I pay them tomorrow morning and once I get my updated score on the 20th of the month it shows a collection wouldn't I lose my PDF leverage?

I'm so worried about this.

Message 3 of 7
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for your quick response but what happens if I pay them tomorrow morning and once I get my updated score on the 20th of the month it shows a collection wouldn't I lose my PDF leverage?

I'm so worried about this.

It would only show the collection if they report, if you pay them I don't see them reporting since they haven't already. This has happened to me before. Good luck. 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree. If it is your debt and you have a chance to pay it I would. If you are concerned you may want to go ahead a pull your reports before calling them to make sure they haven't reported.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If this was the first letter you received, the collection agency MUST give you 30 days to dispute or pay the debt.

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yes, they are required to send a dunning notice informing you that you have 30 days to request validation of the debt.

However, they are under NO prohibition against continuing collection activiites, including reporting their collection, until such time as the consumer actually sends a timely DV.

They are not required to wait 30 days from dunning notice to continue business as usual.

If they sent dunning notice on 10/4/14, any DV requeist would now be untimely, and can simply be ignored.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.