cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received Hardship from Midland but it seems like its not anything they are still trying to collect?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Received Hardship from Midland but it seems like its not anything they are still trying to collect?

I have a judgment from midland funding last year. Since then, I have had significant medical and financial hardship. I put in for a hardship request and was granted a hardship. My letter says

"Thank you for your response to our letter requesting information related to your current financial situation. We have decided to cease collection activity on this account. If we have filed a lawsuit against you we will be dismissing/discontinuing the legal action. If required by the courts we will provide you with a copy of that information for your records" 

I called to check on the status now, they forward me to a completely different department that knows nothing about it and wants me to pay or try to send in and get a hardship to dismiss the judgment. I am lost, does the letter not cover the judgment? does it actually mean nothing?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Received Hardship from Midland but it seems like its not anything they are still trying to colle

Send that department a copy of the letter with request that they follow its instructions and dismiss the suit. Your next stop is a CFPB complaint on them if they dont request the judgment be dismissed
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Received Hardship from Midland but it seems like its not anything they are still trying to colle

The post states that a judgment has already been awarded.

Only the court can dismiss its own judgment.

Ceasing collection does not per se state that they are cancelling the debt, it states only that they are discontinuing further efforts to collect the debt.

You could infer that their statement might require them to notify the court that the debt is discharged, but that does not vacate the judgement.

It would then qualify the judgment for normal exclusion at 7 years from date of entry.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.