Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received a call the other night...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Received a call the other night...

It was from some financial service and they asked for me.  He said he was calling about my old Cross Country CC.  I told him he was speaking to Donna *****.  He asked me for my SSN.  I told him I didn't have a clue who he was and I absolutely would not give him my SSN over the telephone.  He asked for the last 4 digits. I refused.  He then proceeded to read me my entire SSN and asked if this was my number.  I hung up because I didn't know what to do.

I had this account back in 1996...the first CC I ever had.  The SOL has clearly expired so why are they calling me?  The thought crossed my mind that I could go ahead and set up an arrangement to pay it but then there was a battle in my head.  Why would I do that when they clearly cannot report it again and I would not benefit from it at all.  The other side of my brain says "but it's the right thing to do now that you've grown up and are taking responsibility for credit matters."

I can't remember what the final charge off amount was - I'm sure it was high with their multiple fees and all - but the card only had an original CL of no more than $600.  I thought that maybe if I could make a deal, I could get that card back no matter how crappy it was, pay it off as long as the balance is less than $1000 and get back 12 year of credit history - yes I would be willing to pay for 12 years of credit age.  Would that be possible at all?  Has anyone even seen this card in the last 5 years?  I haven't.  

Or is this just some other creditor who has taken over the account and wants to reopen it as a new account in order to recoup that money?  I remember a few years ago getting a letter like that from another company regarding this same account.  I guess I shouldn't have hung up on him and then I would know.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: Received a call the other night...

My suggestion, stay away from it. Most likely SOL passed and they can not collect from you. They can not reopen the old account once it is charged off.  Dont make any payment. Even if you make $1 payment that can restart the sol.
Message 2 of 5
UpNComing
Established Contributor

Househunter, there is a lot of money to be had by "junk collectors" out there.  These guys buy old debts/collections for fractions of pennies on the dollar and chase after people for anything they can get their hands on.  Anything they get out of you is profit for them, BIG profit.  DO NOT under any circumstances give these people any money, it will only renew the collection on your CR.  Next time they call, tell them not to call again and to only communicate with you via mail only.   I doubt they will send you anything.  If they do, send a certified letter for validation of debt.  That should scare them off for good.
CSP ($5k); Chase MileagePlus Explorer Visa Sig. ($6k); Chase Freedom Visa Sig. ($6k); BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa Sig. ($5k); Amex PRG (NPSL); Amex BCE ($1k); Citi Thank You ($5.4k); Barclay Apple ($4.2k) CapOne Cash ($2.5k) CapOne Platinum ($2.5k) Wells Fargo Home Project Visa ($10.3k) Discover IT ($1.5k) WalMart ($3k); Lowes ($3k); Amazon ($5k); Kohls($1.5k)

Scores: Equ Fico 715 ~ Exp 724 ~ TU Fico 682
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

UpNComing wrote:
Househunter, there is a lot of money to be had by "junk collectors" out there.  These guys buy old debts/collections for fractions of pennies on the dollar and chase after people for anything they can get their hands on.  Anything they get out of you is profit for them, BIG profit.  DO NOT under any circumstances give these people any money, it will only renew the collection on your CR.  Next time they call, tell them not to call again and to only communicate with you via mail only.   I doubt they will send you anything.  If they do, send a certified letter for validation of debt.  That should scare them off for good.

If it is past CRTP, paying will not change that. DOFD is set by the OC and doesn't change unless the account is bring current BEFORE charge off/collection.

However, paying will change SOL.

Say you were to set up a payment arrangement for a smaller amount, once you made a payment, they could take you to court and get a judgment.

Unless you can PIF, I"d suggest ignoring it.
Message 4 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

HouseHunter wrote:
Has anyone even seen this card in the last 5 years? 

Creepy call!

Cross Country Bank eventually became Applied Card Bank. Same contact info in Boca Raton.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.