cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received a refund check due to a CFPB complaint from an account that is at least 13 years old

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Received a refund check due to a CFPB complaint from an account that is at least 13 years old

@12njoy wrote:

@sunkissed wrote:

I love it when the little guy wins! I'm happy you and many others got something for your trouble. Hopefully it will discourage the practice in the future.

One can only hope, but we know from experience that these sharks will continue their bad practices.

Congrats 12njoy.

Sharks is right.  I just wish CFPB had of been more diligent with Encore and PRA.  It's been almost a year and I've heard nothing.  They got their nearly 30 million in fines, but the consumer is still waiting.  Don't mean to sound ungrateful for CFPB slapping them on the hand, but what has really changed?  They've just found another way around the consent order.  Have a nice dinner on CFPB.Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Received a refund check due to a CFPB complaint from an account that is at least 13 years old

Would anyone know if my boyfriend can dispute his account with this same debt collector from an old at&t account? This account is scheduled to come off 10/2017 cause he never knew how to dispute it and has just left it alone? should he just let it fall of the report?

Message 12 of 16
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Would anyone know if my boyfriend can dispute his account with this same debt collector from an old at&t account? This account is scheduled to come off 10/2017 cause he never knew how to dispute it and has just left it alone? should he just let it fall of the report?

One would only want to file a dispute if it has an error in reporting. If its not updating monthly then I would just leave it alone as if it doesnt get removed its going to cause a FICO score drop when the status date comes current. If the debt is valid he might try to get ATT to recall the collectors in exchange for full payment.

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that is encouraging, I just file a complaint last week regarding medical charges and hope I can finally get those two baddies off my report.

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

One would only want to file a dispute if it has an error in reporting. If its not updating monthly then I would just leave it alone as if it doesnt get removed its going to cause a FICO score drop when the status date comes current. If the debt is valid he might try to get ATT to recall the collectors in exchange for full payment.

Sometimes errors can be in the eye of the beholder.  Many years ago, I had a big dispute with AT&T.  I went in and UPGRADED my spotless account with them.  While I was there, I bought an outrageously expensive new phone for the new account, as well as adding a new user and paying for his phone as well.  Was told that the old account was paid off and closed.  Paid cash for all of that.  A month later, they sent me a bill for the old account which included about $450 in ETF.  When I disputed it, they cut off my service on the new account.  So now I had $600 in new phones with NO cell service.  They then proceeded to apply any payments I made on the new account to the balance they claimed on the old one, despite explicit instructions from me that my payments were for the NEW account.  Finally I received a letter from them showing the old account with a zero balance.  I assumed that meant they had figured it out and the dispute was settled.  But no--it actually meant they also closed the new account and sent it off for collections. Despite the fact that I owed them exactly $0.  And all I had done was upgrade my account and buy two new phones!  

That was only one of several horror stories I could tell about AT&T and their billing.  This class action is way too late for me; I had to let this mess age off my report.  15 years later, that brand new phone I was so proud of is still sitting in my sock drawer, useless as anything but a reminder to me (never again AT&T anything).  I'm glad to know someone is finally getting some justice.  

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, congrats!

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.