Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received an "Opportunity To Settle"

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Received an "Opportunity To Settle"

Hi Everyone,

I received an offer in the mail today from RJM Acquisitions, the CA that holds one of my debts. They are offerring to settle my debt for only 30% of what is owed. before I received this, I was actually working out a plan in my budget to be able to PIF. If I take the offer from RJM, will it help my fico at all, or will showing that I settled for a lesser amount hurt my fico? Would PIF help my fico more?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Received an "Opportunity To Settle"

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I received an offer in the mail today from RJM Acquisitions, the CA that holds one of my debts. They are offerring to settle my debt for only 30% of what is owed. before I received this, I was actually working out a plan in my budget to be able to PIF. If I take the offer from RJM, will it help my fico at all, or will showing that I settled for a lesser amount hurt my fico? Would PIF help my fico more?

Whether you settle or PIF, your FICO will not change. In other words, if you owe $0 or $10,000, the damage is the same. FICO doesn't score on the CA's balance, but on whether or not it reports.

If they offered a settlement, mail them a PFD letter and include that amount into the PFD. RJM is very accepting of PFDs, and if they they accept this in writing, then pay it and they'll delete and that can very possibly increase your scores (depends on your overall credit).

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@llecs wrote:
Whether you settle or PIF, your FICO will not change. In other words, if you owe $0 or $10,000, the damage is the same. FICO doesn't score on the CA's balance, but on whether or not it reports.

If they offered a settlement, mail them a PFD letter and include that amount into the PFD. RJM is very accepting of PFDs, and if they they accept this in writing, then pay it and they'll delete and that can very possibly increase your scores (depends on your overall credit).

Thanks llecs,

I already wrote, printed and sealed the envelope with the PFD letter in it! It's going out in tomorrow's mail!!

Message 3 of 4
pmarti8
Valued Member

It won't help your score immediately but if it is a substantial discount and you are worried about being sued I would settle the account.  But always try a PFD letter first.  Edited

Good luck!

Advocating or suggesting the disputing of accurate info violates our Credit Repair Discussion Guidelines, Terms of Service, and User Guidelines that prohibit the promotion of certain types of credit repair. - llecs, myFICO moderator

Starting Score: 07/2010 TU 541 EQ 593 Exp 529
Current Score:TU 654 EQ 644 EX 594 br>Goal Score:ALL 660 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.