Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received call from Stellar Recovery

tag
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

Received call from Stellar Recovery

This is the second call and they are not calling from a number that you can call back, spoofing the number is the only thing I can assume.  They won't tell me any sort of info just kept demanding that I confirm my mailing address and ssn.  I asked what the debt was for and they refused to tell me.

Anyone have experience with these people? I have no clue who they are from so idk what is going on but its odd to me that the address they named off is some where I've never lived.

Total CL: $40k+
Discover, BOA, GE, Cap 1, Chase, Barclay!
Gardening Start: 04/22/2013

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Received call from Stellar Recovery

Send them a DV immediately. 

You have contacted me about an alleged debt I owe.  Per FDCPA 809, please validate.  Include the name and address of the OC and an itemization of the debt.

Message 2 of 15
madmann26
Valued Contributor

IMO - 

They have some zombie debt they could be trying to collect on. If they are calling you, then they have some of your information already. You did right by not giving them your SSN.

I would send them a DV now. Since they contacted you, the DV would be considered timely if you send it before the 30 days is up.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 3 of 15
madmann26
Valued Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

Send them a DV immediately. 

You have contacted me about an alleged debt I owe.  Per FDCPA 809, please validate.  Include the name and address of the OC and an itemization of the debt.

Darn you guiness!

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 4 of 15
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

Printing it now and mailing soon.  I was able to find a number and they say its from Comcast which after research they seem to always buy from them but apparently fold easily.  This lady gave me all the account # and stuff without me verifying anything so we'll see.   I've always been an ATT customer so I have NO clue what this is from.

Message 5 of 15
madmann26
Valued Contributor

If you wanted to you could call Comcast to see if it's truly yours. They would have a DOB and at least the last 4 of your SSN on file.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 6 of 15
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

A bit off topic,  but can one of you confirm if you pay the OC a collection agency cannot report any longer and must delete (if reported)? 

Message 7 of 15
madmann26
Valued Contributor

This is true in the case of where the OC is willing to accept payment. You want to ask them "if I pay this, can you pull it back from the CA" and try to get it in writing. If not, you'll have to take their word.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 8 of 15
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@2FixMyCredit wrote:

A bit off topic,  but can one of you confirm if you pay the OC a collection agency cannot report any longer and must delete (if reported)? 

Others have had luck using this because the CA no longer has collection authority.  But they technically would only have to update to paid and closed.

Where they would have to delete is if the debt was returned to the OC.  Others say that isn't the case but there is a reference in credit reporting guide that says they must delete.

Message 9 of 15
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

Just a little update on this.  Called Comcast and all they could verify is the address it was at and the last bill amount.  I am positive my mom got this in my name without my permission, I asked them if there was anything I could do about that and they said no, which I expected. 

Comcast said they can't even generate the last bill to verify charges and what the charges were for.  I asked if they would recall the debt if I went ahead and paid them and they said they couldn't do it since they couldn't pull up enough info in their systems.  SO I am thinking that this CA won't be able to verify anything since comcast can't even do anything about it.  

S.R. said it would report on sept 24th, after the ordeal I went through with Diversified I am on edge that this will still get reported.  DV is sent so I know unless they do validate they can't report, legally anyways. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.