cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received collection notice, already paid OC!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Received collection notice, already paid OC!

On December 7 I paid off a medical bill for my wife that was somehow misplaced in a drawer. It was a couple months late, but I called the number and paid right away. Last week I recieved a collections notice for the same bill. I have the confirmation number from the OC accepting my payment. I'm thinking that it was already in process to go to collections when I paid and somehow someone didn't stop it. Anyways, I'm planning on mailing the CA a certified letter stating that this debt is paid along with the confirmation number and date paid. This should be pretty cut and dry, right? I have fears that this is going to be a huge nightmare and I'm just going to have to pay the CA to make this go away. Although that isn't ideal, it's only $200 so it's not the end of the world. Am I overreacting?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Received collection notice, already paid OC!

I would send proof to the CA of the payment being made to the OC prior to them recieving the collection, and request debt validation IMMEDIATELY to prevent them reporting it (if they have not yet dones so), as well as notifying the OC that it was sent to collections by mistake. Them accepting payment on an already paid account would be illegal on their part. Do not pay them or offer any payment to 'make it go away'. You have rights, do not surrender them to these vultures....

Message 2 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I would send proof to the CA of the payment being made to the OC prior to them recieving the collection, and request debt validation IMMEDIATELY to prevent them reporting it (if they have not yet dones so), as well as notifying the OC that it was sent to collections by mistake. Them accepting payment on an already paid account would be illegal on their part. Do not pay them or offer any payment to 'make it go away'. You have rights, do not surrender them to these vultures....

+1

Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I agree that you should send them a DV, which will bar further collection on their part until they provide validation.

I would include a paragraph within the DV request itself explaining the prior payment, and thus asserting no debt. 

That will clearly provide them notice of info to consider if they determine the debt is valid.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going to mail them the follow letter certified mail:

January 6, 2015

Re: CMRE Account # 0031916216

Payment for this debt of $256.00 was accepted and received by the original creditor, Texas Radiology Associates, on December 9, 2014. The payment confirmation number from Texas Radiology Associates is 7CBB57865A3C. Texas Radiology Associates should be able to provide you with any further documentation you need.

-----------------------

Does this sound OK? Do I need to provide anything else? The original letter simply states that this debt was assigned to their office and they provided contact information and hours along with acceptable payment options. They then go on to state "Unless you notify this office within 30 days after receiving this notice that you dispute the validty of this degbt or any portion thereof, this office will assume this debt is valid. If you notify this office in writing within 30 days from receiving this notice, this office will: obtain verification of the debot or obtain a copy of a judgement and mail you a copy of such judgement or verification..." It then tells me that if I don't reply a negative credit report "may be submitted" to TU and Experian and that they "will not submit any negative credit reporting about this credit obligation until the expiration of the time period described above." 

What I can tell, I think mailing them this letter should give them the info they need to verify this with the OC. Sound right?

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

That is a great paragraph 2.

I would precede with a paragraph reading:

"This is a request for debt validation under FDCPA 809(b)."

That formally disputes the debt, and imposes a cease collection bar.

Paragraph 2 then  provides pertinent info as to the validity of the debt.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.