Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received dunning notice for VERY old debt

tag
Carryon06

Received dunning notice for VERY old debt

Hello,

I am in the process of rebuilding my credit and am finally in the 680s - 690s range. A few days ago I received a collection notice from Convergent on behalf of Palisades Collections (which was not the OC). This was for an AT&T mobile acct I had back in 2003! So I know for a fact this debt is outside of the SOL.

I've received a few collection notices in the past from Palisades, but I've always ignored them (this was before my credit building journey and before I had knowledge of the credit repair process). Even though I ignored Palisades notices, they have never reported to any of the CRAs (thankfully). So now that I have credit repair "awareness", I'm wondering what is the best course of action?

Also Convergent sent this notice using my maiden name, does that make a difference? I was thinking I should send a DV letter but would I "waking a sleeping giant"? If I ignore the notice, is it possible that they can still report the debt even though it's so old? Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Received dunning notice for VERY old debt

It's a zombie debt.  Passes the SOL and CRTP.  They haven't reported because they can't, it's too old.  All they can do is ask you to pay.  You have 2 options.

offer the something like 10% and be done with it, take it or leave it

send them a cease and desist letter and not hear from them again.

either way It won't post to your CR.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Received dunning notice for VERY old debt

Good to know!
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.