Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received settlement offer -- good idea?

tag
amandak1026
New Contributor

Received settlement offer -- good idea?

My husband received an offer in the mail yesterday for his Dell credit card that was charged off several years back.  They're offering three different options to pay off the balance (12 months, 18 months, 24 months).  The 12-month plan obviously saves us the most money and will get it paid off the fastest.  In my mind this is a fantastic offer and we should accept, but am I missing anything? Should I be wary of this? EDITED TO ADD: The offer comes from Portfolio Recovery, and they are the ones reporting on all three bureaus.  The OC is not reporting.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
pisspoorcredit
New Contributor

Re: Received settlement offer -- good idea?

How long is several years? Is this debt reporting to any of your credit reports?

Starting Score: 503
Current Score: 510
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
amandak1026
New Contributor

The DoFD is 2010.  And yes, it's reporting to all 3 bureaus.  

Message 3 of 9
pisspoorcredit
New Contributor

I would, as long as they note that they will delete it after its been satisfied. Then everybody wins.

Starting Score: 503
Current Score: 510
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 9
AlphaKenny
Contributor

I would send them a letter stating that you agree to pay the debt with whatever terms (12mo, 18mo, 24mo) IF they agree to delete from the CRA's.  Also send a copy of their letter with your letter.  Search for PFD examples to get the right format.  Then wait to see if you get a response before agreeing to pay.

Message 5 of 9
amandak1026
New Contributor

Thank you! 

Message 6 of 9
AlphaKenny
Contributor

Also, what state are you in and what month in 2010 was the DoFD?
Message 7 of 9
amandak1026
New Contributor

I'm in Minnesota. DoFD June 2010.
Message 8 of 9
AlphaKenny
Contributor

It looks like the SOL for MN is 6 years. PFD might be tough, but it's worth a shot if you are willing to pay regardless.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.