Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent Auto Charge Off

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Recent Auto Charge Off

I just found out that I have a less than 30 day old auto charge off and have made arrangements to keep the vehicle and continue to follow the set payment schedule. How will my payments appear on my credit report? Am I better off letting the vehicle go? I got behind due to more pressing financial obligations and created this mess for myself. My fiance and my children are moving in the next few months due to his job reassignment and I hate to be the reason we can't get a decent place to live. Anyone with any experience in this area or professional expertise?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Recent Auto Charge Off

The charge-off, once reported, will remain in your CR for up to 7 years plus 180 days from the date of first delinquency (DOFD) that preceded the charge-off.

To obtain deletion now would require voluntary deletion by the creditor.

I would call the creditor and plead your case for a GW deletion of that reporting.

Reporting of a charge-off is, in essence, the placing in your file of a statement that the creditor does not expect you to pay the debt.

Having now established a schedule and begun payments, I would plead that the statement that you are not going to pay the debt is clearly not representatibe of you as a consumer, as you have demonstrated your commitment to pay.

They may still balk at deletion, or of deletion prior to your having paid the entire delinquenct debt, but it si worth a shot, and the logic has merit.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow....that is very helpful. Thank you!
Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to My Fico Smiley Happy

Here are some examples of GW that you can go over. 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Sto...

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.