cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent collection - PFD or try to pull back?

tag
DSFA
Established Member

Recent collection - PFD or try to pull back?

I had a couple of small medical bills recently (last few months) go to collection. I now have the money to pay them off. What is the best way to get these off my reports?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
gypsymama
Established Member

Re: Recent collection - PFD or try to pull back?

I would call the OC and try to pay through them. I just did this with one of my small medical bills and it was from 2010. They agreed to call the CA and recall the debt so it should be removed from my credit reports at that time. You could always try a PFD instead through the CA if you'd rather do that.

Cap One Secured $200; Fingerhut $250; Venus $250; VS $500
Message 2 of 10
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

If they'll recall the debt from the CA that is the route to go. That way the CA must remove their reporting. Good luck
Message 3 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@randyrhodes wrote:
If they'll recall the debt from the CA that is the route to go. That way the CA must remove their reporting. Good luck

+1

if this doesnt work you can attempt the HIPAA Process; you can Google it.

Message 4 of 10
DSFA
Established Member

Good to know. I've got some other medicals with them that haven't yet gone to collection. It should be easy to pull them back then.

Message 5 of 10
gypsymama
Established Member

That should be pretty easy to get pulled back then. I was able to successfully pull back a medical to the OC and pay them. I also got another CA to remove 2 reported medical collections since I offered to PIF and pay the two they had that weren't reporting. Good luck!

Cap One Secured $200; Fingerhut $250; Venus $250; VS $500
Message 6 of 10
DSFA
Established Member

I spoke with all of the OCs and all but one said I could pay them directly, even though they're in collection. They said they could not "cancel" the collection activity, but they would accept payment. 

When I pay the OC, how do I then get the collection activity off of my reports? Or will it come off automatically? 

With the one that said they could not accept payment and I have to pay the CA, should I try a PFD or go the HIPA route?

Thanks

Message 7 of 10
DSFA
Established Member

Also, is there anything I should document or ask for in writing from the OC before I PIF?

Message 8 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Personally, I would send a PFD directly to the debt collector.

If they accept, you dont have to worry about any machinations of "recalling the debt."

The debt collector does not own the debt, so no debt is recalled.  Rather, their collection authority would have to be terminated.

The OC is probably under contract with the debt collector, and would have to terminate that contract prior to payment to them before the debt collector would be obligated under their reporting guidelines with the CRAs to delete their collection.  The OC may not be willing or able to simply cancel their contract at this time.

CRA policy is that a debt collector should delete their reporting if their collection autority is terminated without payment of the debt, but that they should not delete based on payment of the debt.

In my opinion, a PFD agreement directly with the debt collector would be the way to proceed.

Message 9 of 10
DSFA
Established Member

Just so I understand correctly, you're telling me I should NOT pay the OC, even though they've agreed to take payment? I thought paying the CA was the absolute worst thing I could do. What should my course of action be if they deny a PFD request?

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.