Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent late payment with short aaoa

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Recent late payment with short aaoa

My aaoa is 7-8 months with 2 cards, First Progress ($1000 cl) and Open Sky ($400 cl). I just was approved for Capital One secured card which I put $199 for $300 cl. I had maxed out the first two cards, and the First Progress has a 90 day late on all bureaus, and the Open Sky has a 60 day late on 2 and 30 day late on 1. These we're paid off in July but not reported til Aug. I realize that I ruined the very beginning of my rebuilding but I can't turn back time.

Now I have had perfect payment since that issue, and kept my util under 30% (right now it's at 2%). I am wondering if I should keep the cards for the full 7 years til they fall off(I'd prefer to get my deposits back once I qualify for better cards), should I keep them until I get approved for 2 other unsecured ccs, or should I pay them off now and close them? If i close them, should I try to remove the accounts from my report or keep the negative data? Please be respectful with responses and Id like to know what you would do in this situation, thanks.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Recent late payment with short aaoa

I would keep them and continue to make payments on time and the utilization low. What's the point of closing them? The bad info is going to stay for 7 years regardless you keep them open or not.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Before I even got them, I was planning on closing them after a year or two. And because I'd like the security deposit back, it's not urgent though. I dont know if I should close them now, and get rid of the info, or wait until I have 2 unsecured cards then closem. And yes but if I keep them open for 7 years (I REALLY don't want to do this) the negative information won't apply any longer. But also if I close at any time I can remove them if those pages are doing more bad than the good of having them.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Before I even got them, I was planning on closing them after a year or two. And because I'd like the security deposit back, it's not urgent though. I dont know if I should close them now, and get rid of the info, or wait until I have 2 unsecured cards then closem. And yes but if I keep them open for 7 years (I REALLY don't want to do this) the negative information won't apply any longer. But also if I close at any time I can remove them if those pages are doing more bad than the good of having them.

Close them when your scores and profile improve enough for you to get unsecured cards. All others issues are just not relevant. 

The info will be there regardless - you can't simply "get rid of it".

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.