Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent score bumps, next steps?

tag
CrankyDave
Regular Contributor

Recent score bumps, next steps?

Long time listener, etc., etc.

Long story short, a CO due to fall off in January of 2017 has been removed from my EX and TU reports, resulting in respective scores of 716 and 720 (the latter shot up 53 points). EQ being EQ, it probably won't go away until December on that report. So, mostly good news on that front.

I'm looking to buy a house in the near future ($150K range), and my middle mortgage score was 719 back in July, so that's bound to have come up, too.

However, I'd like to give my scores a little more padding, and could use some advice on the best way to go that extra mile.

Current UTIL -- 3%

3 credit cards, $14K limit total

Can loan -- $7K remaining

IL tax lien -- $675, paid 2013 (reporting on EQ and TU, but not EX for some reason)

zero derogs otherwise

3 installment loans, 2 closed (both paid in full)

4 revolving credit lines, 1 closed (the aforementioned CO)

- Credit.com and Creditkarma both list "low available credit" as a negative, so that would imply CLI requests or applying for better cards, but that's apparently a no-no within 6 months of applying for a mortgage. I just got a surprise $3K CLI on my QS card, but my BoA card's limit hasn't gone up in 2+ years, and *that* was from a manual request that resulted in a HP. I have a Barclay Rewards card that's also been stagnant for a while. Are their CLI requests a soft pull?

- Those two sites also say "Too few accounts paid as agreed," which is confusing since I have a perfect payment history on all three open credit cards.

- Having too high a balance remaining on my existing installment loan is also listed as a negative. I've read here that paying it down to 9% of the original amount gives you a boost. I have the money, but would rather put that $5K towards the down payment. I'm only paying 2% interest on it, so it's tolerable as-is.

- The lien came out of nowhere, I honestly can't find any notices from the IL Dept. of Revenue about it (IL has a bad record of that recently; they tried to save money by not mailing out license plate renewal sticker notices this year. It ended badly.), so that dinky amount sat on my report for 2 years, and was paid as soon as I found it. Lesson learned - check your reports often. It's confirmed as paid and released, but it's now the only derogatory on my credit report, so I'd like to make it go away. However, IL is one of those states without a process in place for removing paid liens. Would it be possible to prove a failure to contact me? How would I check to see where they sent any notices?

The timing seems to be the problem. I *could* get approved for credit cards with much higher limits, but it would be a bad idea before applying for a mortgage. Ditto for CLI requests or a small credit builder loan to get more installment types on file. Or should I just go with what I have? My credit was pretty ugly 4 years ago, so I have an urge to polish it up as much as I can before taking the plunge.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Recent score bumps, next steps?

@CrankyDave wrote:

Long time listener, etc., etc.

Long story short, a CO due to fall off in January of 2017 has been removed from my EX and TU reports, resulting in respective scores of 716 and 720 (the latter shot up 53 points). EQ being EQ, it probably won't go away until December on that report. So, mostly good news on that front.

I'm looking to buy a house in the near future ($150K range), and my middle mortgage score was 719 back in July, so that's bound to have come up, too.

However, I'd like to give my scores a little more padding, and could use some advice on the best way to go that extra mile.

Current UTIL -- 3%

3 credit cards, $14K limit total

Can loan -- $7K remaining

IL tax lien -- $675, paid 2013 (reporting on EQ and TU, but not EX for some reason)

zero derogs otherwise

3 installment loans, 2 closed (both paid in full)

4 revolving credit lines, 1 closed (the aforementioned CO)

- Credit.com and Creditkarma both list "low available credit" as a negative, so that would imply CLI requests or applying for better cards, but that's apparently a no-no within 6 months of applying for a mortgage. I just got a surprise $3K CLI on my QS card, but my BoA card's limit hasn't gone up in 2+ years, and *that* was from a manual request that resulted in a HP. I have a Barclay Rewards card that's also been stagnant for a while. Are their CLI requests a soft pull?

- Those two sites also say "Too few accounts paid as agreed," which is confusing since I have a perfect payment history on all three open credit cards.

- Having too high a balance remaining on my existing installment loan is also listed as a negative. I've read here that paying it down to 9% of the original amount gives you a boost. I have the money, but would rather put that $5K towards the down payment. I'm only paying 2% interest on it, so it's tolerable as-is.

- The lien came out of nowhere, I honestly can't find any notices from the IL Dept. of Revenue about it (IL has a bad record of that recently; they tried to save money by not mailing out license plate renewal sticker notices this year. It ended badly.), so that dinky amount sat on my report for 2 years, and was paid as soon as I found it. Lesson learned - check your reports often. It's confirmed as paid and released, but it's now the only derogatory on my credit report, so I'd like to make it go away. However, IL is one of those states without a process in place for removing paid liens. Would it be possible to prove a failure to contact me? How would I check to see where they sent any notices?

The timing seems to be the problem. I *could* get approved for credit cards with much higher limits, but it would be a bad idea before applying for a mortgage. Ditto for CLI requests or a small credit builder loan to get more installment types on file. Or should I just go with what I have? My credit was pretty ugly 4 years ago, so I have an urge to polish it up as much as I can before taking the plunge.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

Higher limits are not going to help your scores, despite what those two sites tell you. Adding cards will pull own your AAoA and likely lower your scores. IMO, other than getting the lien removed, the best thing you can do is stand pat and let your accounts age. Aside from derogatory information, FICO scores are all about three things - perfect payment history, low UTI, and TIME, or age of your account (not just AAoA, that's only part of it). 

Message 2 of 9
CrankyDave
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Higher limits are not going to help your scores, despite what those two sites tell you. Adding cards will pull own your AAoA and likely lower your scores. IMO, other than getting the lien removed, the best thing you can do is stand pat and let your accounts age. Aside from derogatory information, FICO scores are all about three things - perfect payment history, low UTI, and TIME, or age of your account (not just AAoA, that's only part of it). 

Yeah, I figured as much. My scores had been stuck between 662 and 666 for the past year (no exaggeration) regardless of payment history or low utilization, so I'd pretty much given up on them going up on their own. Hence the twitchiness to take action -- any action -- to prod things along.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CrankyDave wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, I figured as much. My scores had been stuck between 662 and 666 for the past year (no exaggeration) regardless of payment history or low utilization, so I'd pretty much given up on them going up on their own. Hence the twitchiness to take action -- any action -- to prod things along.

Whats the age of your oldest open card?

Message 4 of 9
CrankyDave
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CrankyDave wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My oldest *card* is 11 years, 7 months. My oldest account is 20 years, 6 months, but that's a paid student loan.

My average account age is 7 years, 9 months or 9 years, 6 months depending on the CRA. (The student loan only shows up on one for some reason.)

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does it make a difference if it's a store card? I just got two new credit cards but I've had two store cards for two years. With that being said I was just curious to see how my credit would be affected since I just opened up two cards.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CrankyDave wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CrankyDave wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My oldest *card* is 11 years, 7 months. My oldest account is 20 years, 6 months, but that's a paid student loan.

My average account age is 7 years, 9 months or 9 years, 6 months depending on the CRA. (The student loan only shows up on one for some reason.)

Ok, so you have some good depth, well aged accounts, the only thing really left to do is to try to get rid of derogs.

Message 7 of 9
CrankyDave
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok, so you have some good depth, well aged accounts, the only thing really left to do is to try to get rid of derogs.

Just to clarify, if I ever *do* decide to get a new card, won't that absolutely destroy my AAOA?

Sadly, from what I've read, it's pretty much impossible to get a paid state tax lien removed here in IL. *sigh* Back to the waiting game. That CO dinged me hard for six years after it was paid in full, so now that it's gone, I'm hoping that my scores will start rising as quickly as other examples I've seen here. My FAKOs are all around 775, so it would be nice if my real scores got up into that range.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CrankyDave wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just to clarify, if I ever *do* decide to get a new card, won't that absolutely destroy my AAOA?

Sadly, from what I've read, it's pretty much impossible to get a paid state tax lien removed here in IL. *sigh* Back to the waiting game. That CO dinged me hard for six years after it was paid in full, so now that it's gone, I'm hoping that my scores will start rising as quickly as other examples I've seen here. My FAKOs are all around 775, so it would be nice if my real scores got up into that range.

No, it will lower it some, but it grows back.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.