Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent tiny late payment on utility account plunged credit score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Recent tiny late payment on utility account plunged credit score

I live in Chicago and the local Gas company reports on Equifax and Transunion. I recently moved and when I set up the new account I thought had it on autopayment, but appparently never set it up. At the same time I had the account on Ebill and hadn't been receiving any bills or late payments. 

One day i got an alert from Credit Karma that the account was delinquent with a 30 day late payment and a past due amount of $92 my credit score plunged from around 780 to 630. I'm a landlord by profession so I live and die by financing any my credit score. Every month I make about 30k in payments across all my FICO accounts and have never had a late payment in 7 years. 

I am at a loss of what to do and how such a small past due amount could destroy my credit score. 

Any ideas on how to handle this? I spoke to the gas company pleading with them to no avail. I filed a dispute with Transunion that hasnt gone anywhere and with Equifax interestingly since the delinquency hadn't posted yet it just show up as a suppressed current account vs transunion as supressed deliquent account. I'm not sure how much longer this will go on for though. I can handle 1 out of the 3 being very low, but since lenders go with the middle score 2 out of 3 kills me.

Any help or guidance would be incredibly appreciated

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Recent tiny late payment on utility account plunged credit score

@Anonymous wrote:

I live in Chicago and the local Gas company reports on Equifax and Transunion. I recently moved and when I set up the new account I thought had it on autopayment, but appparently never set it up. At the same time I had the account on Ebill and hadn't been receiving any bills or late payments. 

One day i got an alert from Credit Karma that the account was delinquent with a 30 day late payment and a past due amount of $92 my credit score plunged from around 780 to 630. I'm a landlord by profession so I live and die by financing any my credit score. Every month I make about 30k in payments across all my FICO accounts and have never had a late payment in 7 years. 

I am at a loss of what to do and how such a small past due amount could destroy my credit score. 

Any ideas on how to handle this? I spoke to the gas company pleading with them to no avail. I filed a dispute with Transunion that hasnt gone anywhere and with Equifax interestingly since the delinquency hadn't posted yet it just show up as a suppressed current account vs transunion as supressed deliquent account. I'm not sure how much longer this will go on for though. I can handle 1 out of the 3 being very low, but since lenders go with the middle score 2 out of 3 kills me.

Any help or guidance would be incredibly appreciated

A 30 day late will push scores way down when it first occurs, but it does reduce impact signifigantly after 12 months, and almost entirely at 24 months. The best option is to contact upper management and plead your case to them - if you had not recieved any bills, thats certainly an extenuating circumstance, but you have to get it before the people that can actually make the decision to rescind it.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.