cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently sold my home. Could I convince Wells Fargo to remove account from my credit report?

tag
saltlakere
Valued Member

Re: Recently sold my home. Could I convince Wells Fargo to remove account from my credit report?

It's actually very important for you to get rid of some of this. Whether you actually were foreclosed on or not, lenders consider a 90 day mortgage late a foreclosure and that will prevent you from getting another mortgage for at least two to three years, nevermind the damage to your credit score. You may want to counter back to WF to remove the 90 and 120 day late. You may also want to dispute the lates with the CRA and make WF prove you made those payments late. WF may simply not respond because the account is now paid and they have no benefit to spending time on it any more. Keep trying different angles until you get this resolved. Good luck!

Message 11 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Recently sold my home. Could I convince Wells Fargo to remove account from my credit report?

The FCRA does not mandate the reporting of information to a CRA.

FCRA 623(a)(1) stipulates that if information is reported, it cannot knowingly be inaccurate.

FCRA 623(a)(2) stipulates that any information, once reported, must be promptly updated so as to maintain its current accuracy.

There is no provision of the FCRA that prevents a creditor from deleting reported information per se.

The only restriction would be if the deletion results in remaining information now becoming inaccurate.

Deletion of an entire account would not result in any remaining information, and thus there would be no issue of inaccuracy under section 623(a)(2).

Yes, you can argue the FCRA "requirments" with the creditor.

However, deletion remains voluntary, so they need provide no reason at all.

Arguing the validuty of their reasons for non-deletion when no reasons need be provided is not going to win the day.

There would be no basis for civil action compelling deletion of accurate reporting.

I would pursue good-will rather than  confrontation.

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.