cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Light enforcement ticket PAID! WONT REMOVE - PLEASE HELP!

tag
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Red Light enforcement ticket PAID! WONT REMOVE - PLEASE HELP!

I never saw any offererd terms by the creditor referreing to any CR deletion of their pirior reporting to the credit file.

The word delete was never used as related to credit files.  The word used was cleared.  That, to me, logically refers to reporting of the debt.

The primary focus on any unpaid debt is clearing obligation for the debt. 

They "cleared" the debt from credit reporting, by update  to the debt status to $0 owed.. However, clearing a debt never, in and of itself, eitther implies or mandates deletion of prior derogs that led to the ultimate payment.

Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

I never saw any offererd terms by the creditor referreing to any CR deletion of their pirior reporting to the credit file.

The word delete was never used as related to credit files.  The word used was cleared.  That, to me, logically refers to reporting of the debt.

The primary focus on any unpaid debt is clearing obligation for the debt. 

They "cleared" the debt from credit reporting, by update  to the debt status to $0 owed.. However, clearing a debt never, in and of itself, eitther implies or mandates deletion of prior derogs that led to the ultimate payment.

That is your opinion based on your own criteria and not on any legal foundation.  It would also seem like you also do not see eye-to-eye with Webster's:

Definition of CLEAR

*  to make clear or translucent;
*  to free from pollution;
*  to free from accusation or blame : exonerate, vindicate <the opportunity to clear himself;
*  to free from what obstructs or is unneeded: as (1) to erase stored or displayed data from (as a computer or  calculator) (2) to remove from an area or place.

Examples of CLEAR

*  The sky cleared after the rain.
*  The weather is cloudy now, but it's clearing gradually.
*  The morning fog gradually cleared.
*  When the smoke cleared, we could see that the building had been completely destroyed.
*  The water cleared after the mud had settled.
*  My skin cleared when I started using the cream.
*  They cleared timber from the land.
*  She cleared everything out of the closet.
*  I'll clear those books out of the way.
*  The police ordered the crowd to clear the area.

In areas of ambiguity, courts like to do simple things like -- surprise, surprise -- look up terms in the dictionary.  Courts also like to use a standard based upon "the reasonable man" or "expectations of a reasonable man" approach.  Reasonable people use a dictionary.  Reasonable people take words at their face value in an advertisement, claim or offer.  Most importantly, reasonable people expect that an offer to clear a credit record involves more than something the creditor is legally, without exception, required to do in any event once paid.

Now maybe you have personal expertise in suing people where judges have ruled that subterfuge, ambiguity and a play on words was an accepted practice.  If you do, please give us specifics.  Otherwise, I hope you have a really high limit on your AmEx card because I am going to have to start charging you for these fundamental legal concepts and basic legal education classes.

The simple legal fact is that subterfuge and misleading statements are actionable.  I'll try to put this in the simplest form possible:

If one relied on the statement "YOUR CREDIT RECORD MAY BE CLEARED FOR THESE UNPAID CITATIONS" when paying the creditor expecting a deletion and said deletion did not occur, there is a better-than-decent chance of winning a lawsuit against the creditor -- especially if it is a collection agency or non-governmental body. 

Message 12 of 25
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I am mired in general grammatcal semantics that are not applied to the situation at issue. 

I have never seen a Merriam Webster interpretation of  "clear," when applied as an adjective, to the nouns "debt" or "credit report," and PARTULARLY not to any terminology set forth in the statuory context that would be remotely relevant to the provisions of FCRA 605(a) or (c).

The real content meaning, as written, of "cleared from unpaid" means simply that , in just plain English.  The antithesis of cleared from unpaid,  is simply cleared and now paid.  How does one infer from that any CR deletion under the FCRA?  Paid accounts dont mandate CR removal.

Yes, if the CA had ever used the term "delete" then Merram Webster might have tilted me to your position.  But.........

Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

I am mired in general grammatcal semantics that are not applied to the situation at issue. 

I have never seen a Merriam Webster interpretation of  "clear," when applied as an adjective, to the nouns "debt" or "credit report," and PARTULARLY not to any terminology set forth in the statuory context that would be remotely relevant to the provisions of FCRA 605(a) or (c).

The real content meaning, as written, of "cleared from unpaid" means simply that , in just plain English.  The antithesis of cleared from unpaid,  is simply cleared and now paid.  How does one infer from that any CR deletion under the FCRA?  Paid accounts dont mandate CR removal.

Yes, if the CA had ever used the term "delete" then Merram Webster might have tilted me to your position.  But.........

I didn't expect you to understand.  Many other laymen wouldn't either so don't feel bad.

Message 14 of 25
Carbusys
Contributor

O6;

Your own definition, the third one, explains what was done.

"*  to free from accusation or blame : exonerate, vindicate <the opportunity to clear himself;"

The OP was exonerated (vindicated) from owing the debt, but the derog posting remains.

Starting: TU-605; EQ-603; EX-593
Current: (8/11/2010) TU-691; EQ-652; EX-655
Goal: 700 Club

Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Carbusys wrote:

O6;

Your own definition, the third one, explains what was done.

"*  to free from accusation or blame : exonerate, vindicate <the opportunity to clear himself;"

The OP was exonerated (vindicated) from owing the debt, but the derog posting remains.

That would be fine but for the pesky little issue of there being another meaning of clear that means remove or erase data.

The issue is that the CA used terminology which can be misleading.  Subterfuge can be inferred in many ways, and one way that courts will use is when a party uses confusing terminology to describe or advantage which is not really a benefit or advantage.  Under every possible set of circumstances, the CA had to report the account as paid if, in fact, the debtor paid the account. 

It's like saying if you buy an ice-cream from me I'll give you the ice-cream; you have to do that no matter what.  So why using confusing terminology or language if not designed to trick the individual into thinking something different?  It will never fly in court.

Message 16 of 25
glamchick
Established Contributor

These are some great replies.  I will generate a GW letter and i will use some of the terminology in my GW letter that you guys have taught me here.  To me cleared would mean cleared of all obligations and meaning deleted from my report!  If they refuse to delete i will keep sending letters to the state and to our congress explaining what the letter promised.  I will send them a copy of the letter I send to congress as well.  Maybe I will even get channel 7news on my side involved ha-ha! 

I will keep you guys posted on how it goes.

Thanks for all the help! 

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 17 of 25
glamchick
Established Contributor

I sent a GW Letter Via e-mail this is the reply I received:

We automatically send a letter to the credit bureau, and it should be marked as paid in full within 2 weeks.

So now I will be sending a GW letter to the original creditor and the CA via mail and receipt!

Wish me luck!

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 18 of 25
glamchick
Established Contributor

Ok here is the reply i received from my 2nd GW letter I e-mailed.

"We have received your payment in reference to the above citation. It normally takes about three weeks for the credit company to receive a update in reference to your account. You credit statement will show the debt but will be it will be marked as paid in full.

In order to help you with your situation I have issued a paid in full letter to be sent to you. You should have this with in the next few days."

I DONT WANT A PAID IN FULL LETTER. I WANT IT REMOVED!   In the letter stated above it said they would clear my name from this debt!

Please advise on what I should do next.

Thanks.

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@glamchick wrote:

Ok here is the reply i received from my 2nd GW letter I e-mailed.

"We have received your payment in reference to the above citation. It normally takes about three weeks for the credit company to receive a update in reference to your account. You credit statement will show the debt but will be it will be marked as paid in full.

In order to help you with your situation I have issued a paid in full letter to be sent to you. You should have this with in the next few days."

I DONT WANT A PAID IN FULL LETTER. I WANT IT REMOVED!   In the letter stated above it said they would clear my name from this debt!

Please advise on what I should do next.

Thanks.

Who is doing the reporting? 

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.