cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redacting Information from Public Record - Myth or True?

tag
Hanson779
Established Member

Redacting Information from Public Record - Myth or True?

Was googling and stumbled onto a reputation site that said I may be able to go to my local country clerk and ask them to redact information on the public record. Is that true?  I have a "satisfied" $400 Tax lien payment  that NYS Tax and Finance will not vacate. If I can at least redact  info from my public record then I am hoping that may be, may be, I my name and address won't come up anymore in open warrant search systems.  I would then try to see if I can dispute with the CRs. Thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Redacting Information from Public Record - Myth or True?

@Hanson779 wrote:

Was googling and stumbled onto a reputation site that said I may be able to go to my local country clerk and ask them to redact information on the public record. Is that true?  I have a "satisfied" $400 Tax lien payment  that NYS Tax and Finance will not vacate. If I can at least redact  info from my public record then I am hoping that may be, may be, I my name and address won't come up anymore in open warrant search systems.  I would then try to see if I can dispute with the CRs. Thoughts?

I have never heard of anyone getting PR info redacted. Liens have to be withdrawn in order for them to come off your CR.

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Redaction of information from documents to be released to the public is nornally done by the governmental agency who controls the document, and is done based on specific regs of that agency.

I would assume that you can request redaction of info if it meets the criteria specified in the controlling agency's regs.

However, actual redaction would likely not be at the discretion of the consumer.  I doubt that an intent to avoid public record searches that might identify the record would be the basis of any redaction regulation.....

I would suggest contacting the agency/court that posted the public record regarding any request for redaction of info posted in the public record.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I suppose a tactic like that could be used by a person at risk for stalking (perhaps with a documented restraining order, etc). 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.