cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinancing after Permanent Mortgage Mod?

tag
Pigeyex
Frequent Contributor

Refinancing after Permanent Mortgage Mod?

I've just been approved for a permanent loan modification -- including a rather significant principal reduction -- from BofA.  Although I was able to get converted from an adjustable, interest-only APR to a FIXED one, the rate is still horrible -- 8.05%. 

I'd like to be able to refinance this once the permanent modification removes the "Default" and "Delinquent" status from our credit report, but don't have a good feel for how long it will take for my scores to significantly improve?  We really only have two blemishes on our credit, and TONS of paid-as-agreed (and a good job and great income), but the "seriously delinquent" mortgage -- including a Foreclosure lis pendens filing -- is obviously pulling my score way down.

Will I be able to negotiate with the lender about whether or not they put the dreaded "Modified" note on my credit report, vs. a cleaner "Current" ???

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2007 - 2010 low point: mid-500s

With the help of myFICO community, now: 714 EQ FICO

"At the end of every hard-earned day, people find some reason to believe." (Bruce Springsteen)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Pigeyex
Frequent Contributor

Re: Refinancing after Permanent Mortgage Mod?

Can anyone help me with this?  Please?

"At the end of every hard-earned day, people find some reason to believe." (Bruce Springsteen)
Message 2 of 4
prolificjinx23
Frequent Contributor

I work for a different bank at the Home Preservation Center processing permanent modifications & I can tell you now that raising your credit score isn't the only thing you have to work on. Refinancing is a whole different beast & you have to make sure that you make at least 12 months consecutive on time payments. No lates!!! They need to make sure that you have a positive history within the last year before they even consider you - even if it's HARP. Make sure you go into one of the banking centers. A financial advisor can give you all of the info you need to prepare yourself for refinacing. Good Luck!!! Smiley Happy

Starting Scores: EQ 447 (01/02/2017), TU 476 (01/02/2017), EX 456 (01/02/2017)
Current Scores: FICO 08's as of 12/12/2019: EQ 584, TU 702, EX 631
Goal Scores: ABOVE 800 ALL 3
Current Cards: CapOne QS1 $500, Walmart SC $500, Discover It $750, Amazon Prime SC $900, CareCredit $2,000, NFCU CashRewards $10,000 and NOT APPING until 04/2020....

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
Pigeyex
Frequent Contributor

A very belated "THANK YOU" for this reply, 23.  I have now made 13 payments in a row, on time and as agreed, and they never did put any sort of a notation on my credit reports other than "CURRENT," so that's a real blessing.  Smiley Happy

Unfortunately, my scores are still only 550ish, despite those two positive developments.

Pigeye

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.