Regular Contributor
Pigeyex

Refinancing after Permanent Mortgage Mod?

I've just been approved for a permanent loan modification -- including a rather significant principal reduction -- from BofA.  Although I was able to get converted from an adjustable, interest-only APR to a FIXED one, the rate is still horrible -- 8.05%. 

I'd like to be able to refinance this once the permanent modification removes the "Default" and "Delinquent" status from our credit report, but don't have a good feel for how long it will take for my scores to significantly improve?  We really only have two blemishes on our credit, and TONS of paid-as-agreed (and a good job and great income), but the "seriously delinquent" mortgage -- including a Foreclosure lis pendens filing -- is obviously pulling my score way down.

Will I be able to negotiate with the lender about whether or not they put the dreaded "Modified" note on my credit report, vs. a cleaner "Current" ???

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Regular Contributor
Pigeyex

Re: Refinancing after Permanent Mortgage Mod?

Can anyone help me with this?  Please?

Frequent Contributor
prolificjinx23

I work for a different bank at the Home Preservation Center processing permanent modifications & I can tell you now that raising your credit score isn't the only thing you have to work on. Refinancing is a whole different beast & you have to make sure that you make at least 12 months consecutive on time payments. No lates!!! They need to make sure that you have a positive history within the last year before they even consider you - even if it's HARP. Make sure you go into one of the banking centers. A financial advisor can give you all of the info you need to prepare yourself for refinacing. Good Luck!!! :smileyhappy:

Starting Score: EQ 414 (01/05/11), TU 422 (01/05/11), EX ???
Current Score: ALL FICO's: EQ 654 (04/17/13), TU 641(03/04/13), EX 638 (03/20/13 - AMEX SOFT PULL)
Goal Score: ABOVE 680 ALL 3
Current Cards: Too many!!! App Free since 04/19/13 & NOT APPING until 04/2014....
Regular Contributor
Pigeyex

A very belated "THANK YOU" for this reply, 23.  I have now made 13 payments in a row, on time and as agreed, and they never did put any sort of a notation on my credit reports other than "CURRENT," so that's a real blessing.  :smileyhappy:

Unfortunately, my scores are still only 550ish, despite those two positive developments.

Pigeye

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+