cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refresher on impact of an aging late pay (Navient)

tag
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

Refresher on impact of an aging late pay (Navient)

As I have recently mentioned elsewhere, I am beginning the task of rebuilding what was once very good credit -for the second time- because of some unfortunate life events and associated fall out.   Point being, I have done this before, but I definitely need a refresher course on some specifics, especially if "things have changed" in the last 8 years.  Your collective help is much appreciated.

I am currently hovering right at 600.  I  have several baddies to try to address.  There will be a few posts from me coming up.  Today I am starting with the easiest:

I have a loan now serviced by Navient, formerly Sallie Mae I think.  It shows current.  The only blemish on this line is a "90" from April 2014.  All other reporting is either OK or ND.  All reporting has been OK since May 2014 and will stay as such.

How much is this single  year old "90" hurting me?

When will it stop effectig the score.  Is that still 2 years?

GW would be my only recourse on this one.  I am doubtful that will fly, and somewhat satisfied that the only blemish is one 90 other than a series of 30, 60 , 90 etc.  It could be worse. 

Thanks for any input.

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Refresher on impact of an aging late pay (Navient)

@BallBounces wrote:

As I have recently mentioned elsewhere, I am beginning the task of rebuilding what was once very good credit -for the second time- because of some unfortunate life events and associated fall out.   Point being, I have done this before, but I definitely need a refresher course on some specifics, especially if "things have changed" in the last 8 years.  Your collective help is much appreciated.

I am currently hovering right at 600.  I  have several baddies to try to address.  There will be a few posts from me coming up.  Today I am starting with the easiest:

I have a loan now serviced by Navient, formerly Sallie Mae I think.  It shows current.  The only blemish on this line is a "90" from April 2014.  All other reporting is either OK or ND.  All reporting has been OK since May 2014 and will stay as such.

How much is this single  year old "90" hurting me?

When will it stop effectig the score.  Is that still 2 years?

GW would be my only recourse on this one.  I am doubtful that will fly, and somewhat satisfied that the only blemish is one 90 other than a series of 30, 60 , 90 etc.  It could be worse. 

Thanks for any input.

This is very recent and that is a score killer. A 90 day late is considered a major derogatory and will probably be damaging the entire 7 years it can report although like any negative the impact lessens as time goes by.

A GW approach is definitely needed for this.

Message 2 of 7
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

Thanks MVV.

I have already sent a PM to someone who mentioned GW success with the Customer Advocate Office at navient.  If anyone else has that info, feel free to PM me.

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 3 of 7
tiger_uppercut
Established Contributor

@BallBounces wrote:

Thanks MVV.

I have already sent a PM to someone who mentioned GW success with the Customer Advocate Office at navient.  If anyone else has that info, feel free to PM me.

What sort of info are you looking for?

Message 4 of 7
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

I was lookign for the advocate email address for Navient but I have already  located it and have sent a letter.

050719:     
021924:     

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

A 90 days late may not be too hard to GW with the Navient consumer advocate, since it appears that all other payments on that loan were on time.

anyway, I PM'd you the navient contact info I have, best of luck!

Message 6 of 7
daniki
New Contributor

Speaking from first hand experience, I had ONE 90 day late CC payment that just fell off my reports. My score jumped 45 points 721 to 766 on TU and around that much on EQ and EX so it impacts you quite a bit for the full 7 years. Hopefully you have GW letter success.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.