Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund Check from Midland Credit Management

tag
nws2002
Established Member

Refund Check from Midland Credit Management

In the mail today I received a refund check from Midland Credit Management for close to $30.  Something just feels off about it, like they are going to figure out my checking account number when I cash their check and then drain my account.

As far as I know I do not have any accounts with Midland, and there is nothing on my credit reports from them.  However, I did make some horrible financial decisions while in college and have been rebuilding for the past 3 years or so.  It is certainly possible that there is a collections account with them somewhere that may or may not have been paid.

So, I guess my question is should I cash the check or just shred it an ignore it?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
diabla
Regular Contributor

Re: Refund Check from Midland Credit Management

Have you ever done business with them, as far as paying off a collection?  Any fine print on that check?  Definitely sounds suspicious!

Message 2 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you feel that you are not entitled to the $$, I would not accept it.  Just plain 'ole honesty.

If it might be legitimate, I would not have serious concerns about their use of your deposit to commit fraud on your account.

Having sent the check via the mail, any fraud would give rise to federal jurisdiction.  Having your own documentation, which will be in your account records, of the transaction would be a clear trail of evidence.

They would be a total fool to attempt any such fraud.  They are a well-know business, so finding them would not be difficult.

Message 3 of 10
nws2002
Established Member

No fine print on the check, front or back.  There is a stub attached, but the only information mirrors the check and a comment field that says "refund for invoice account 852531005".  I'm digging through files now trying to figure out what this could possibly be from.

Message 4 of 10
nws2002
Established Member

@RobertEG wrote:

If you feel that you are not entitled to the $$, I would not accept it.  Just plain 'ole honesty.

If it might be legitimate, I would not have serious concerns about their use of your deposit to commit fraud on your account.

Having sent the check via the mail, any fraud would give rise to federal jurisdiction.  Having your own documentation, which will be in your account records, of the transaction would be a clear trail of evidence.

They would be a total fool to attempt any such fraud.  They are a well-know business, so finding them would not be difficult.

I agree, I cannot imagine this large of a company using such tactics to seize funds from a personal checking account.  For whatever reason I just have a hinky feeling about the whole thing.  Maybe its because I've been battling with collection agencies for too long and I'm just leary of trusting any one of them to send out a refund check without being asked.

Message 5 of 10
nws2002
Established Member

Figured out what it is, sort of.  The "invoice/account number" matches an old Dell Financial Services account that was paid off in 2004.  I will call Midland on Monday to see if they can shed any light on exactly what this check is for.  I just think it is strange that a collection agency would spend the time/effort/money to refund an overpayment from 8 years ago.

Message 6 of 10
diabla
Regular Contributor

I guess they get into so much trouble, they don't want you discovering it and suing them for 8 years worth of interest!

Message 7 of 10
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

You can cash in that check in Walmart for a $3 fee.

Message 8 of 10
beb86
Valued Contributor

Who know my wife just got a postcard in the from a class action lawsuit against a collection company that CAP1 uses for "collection tactics" and "harassment" so she can collect a whole $70 if she sends it in........just had an epiphany....she should call them a few times a day to try and get her money hahaha

Message 9 of 10
KnewBee
New Contributor

Did read on another board that some collectors when they have a judgement out (that debtor may not even be aware of due to sewer service!) will send small checks out to get the debtors bank account information on the canceled check so they can garnish it,  so whatever you do dont deposit in your own account. Hopefully that is not the case with this one, but I would be careful. The board i was reading said the do really small checks like $1 to $5 for this so yours may be legit since it is more, but im just saying Be careful. 

Best of luck! 

Starting Scores: 9/19/2012 EQ 613 / TU 526 / EX 543
Current Scores: EQ 716 TU 724 EX 724 Goal Scores: 700
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.