Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rehabbing student loans??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rehabbing student loans??

Okay so I had an identity theft issue from a relative that made me very wary and untrusting of credit at a young age so I just absolutely ignored it. I always had a cosigner when I was renting an apartment and never needed to get a car until very very recently. Whatver right? I 'll just pay cash for everything. Oh what a young fool I was. And still probably am in all honesty. Credit scores and credit reports were just kind of an unattainable abstract concept that I just completely ignored for years and years and years and years. But... now that I am a grown up (28 to be exact) and living in America again (I'll skip those details) I just can't ignore it anymore. A decent credit score is required for today's world. My oh my how embaressing that at 28 I have to ask a relative to cosign an apartment for me and I was literally too scared to even apply for a car loan for fear of being laughed at for my shoddy credit report.

Well I've been doing some research... thank you google. And I'm not in the worst shape in the world.

I had two accounts in collections thanks to signing up an ex boyfriend for a PG & E bill in my name that I disputed and they have since been deleted.

I have one judgement that will fall off in Sept of 2017 (but seeing as how I threw away anything that looked like a bill for a huge chunk of my over-18 life I can legitimately claim that I have no knowledge of this.. oh and up until a couple weeks ago my credit reports all showed the wrong birth date so I can probably get it deleted... or should I just wait?)

I have three open accounts. One secured credit card, one auto loan (at 7.2%! thanks navy fed!), and my gosh darn student loans. The first two are in fabulous standing because I opened them after I became a grown up (I became a grown up when I almost got a third degree burn from the candles on my birthday cake. That was a real wake up call).

Once my credit card gets reported and my last two on-time payments get reported I am applying for an unsecured card through Navy Fed because they are an awesome bank and generous with their limits.

Now we are really getting to the meat of this question. Smiley Happy

So, my student loans are my oldest account and I have missed about 7 payments on them a year ago. I am current and all good since then (yay me! I may live off of oatmeal and beans and rice every day but I pay my gosh darn bills! umm now). So thsi is my oldest account... it's almost 7 years old and I want it to be squeaky clean because that guy will definitely be on my report for many years to come. So.... (and finally my question)... WHAT IS REHABBING YOUR STUDENT LOANS? You mean I can just ASK them to take the bad info off my credit report and THEY'LL DO IT? I mean dude that's totally sweet but seriously? How do I do it? I only have SEVEN missed payments and a ton of actual payments and I've read about people with a lot shadier histories who have totally learned how to work it.

It took me about ten minutes to figure out how to post a question and I don't have the time nor the patience to figure it out on my own and you guys are my favorite credit forum so please assist.

What is this credit rehabbing? Why do they do it? How is it done? How long does it take? What will motivate them to just delete negative information? Do I call? Do I write a letter? Do I have to make a case for myself?

Thank you for taking the time to read this whole thing for such a simple question. I am a chatty Kathy I know.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Rehabbing student loans??

I researched the Rehabilitation online...hope it helps

You can renew eligibility for new loans and grants and eliminate the loan default by “rehabilitating” a defaulted loan. To qualify for FFEL or Direct Loan rehabilitation, you have to make nine monthly payments within 20 days of the due date during a period of 10 consecutive months. The 9 out of 10 rule basically allows you to miss your payment one month, but still be eligible to rehabilitate. The Perkins program has separate rules. To rehabilitate a Perkins loan, you must make nine payments in a nine month period.

An interruption in this consecutive period is allowed for qualifying military service members or affected civilians. These borrowers may resume their rehabilitation payments after their service is completed. See the special programs for military section of this site for information about other options for military service members and certain civilians affected by war or national emergencies.

If you are rehabilitating a FFEL loan, the guarantor must attempt to find a lender to purchase the loan after you have made the required payments or if no seller can be found, assign the loan to the government. There is no resale requirement for Direct Loans. Once rehabilitation is complete, the loan is removed from default status and you are eligible for new loans and grants. The default notation should be removed from your credit record. In most cases, however, the other negative history will remain until it gets too old to report.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 5
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

I was too careless in my younger years with my credit and just plain out ignored any credit related anything for the last ten years , but I woke up one day in Feb after I tried to get a auto loan and was denied denied and denied oh besides the 25% interest sub prime crap , so I woke up and decided enough is enough I want to have nice things and own my own house one day soon, I started working on my reports , which my biggest down fall is I let my student loans go into default , to answer your questions to be able to get in the Rehab program you have to be in Default status on your loan and it's only for Federal loans , I have heard private ones don't offer the rehab, anyways you make 10 on time payments and then your loan will be removed from default and set up with a new loan servicer and then all bad marks to credit report to do with defaulting loans will be removed and a new trade line will be added by new servicer . I am about to make my 7th payment yay only a couple more to go.
Message 3 of 5
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

As far as credit rehabbing goes I think what you are referring to is trying to get all the late payments and so forth removed from your reports? Yes you can look up samples of Goodwill letters , Pay for Delete Letters , and Dispute letters and get a better understanding of how to approach your situation.
Message 4 of 5
surferchris
Valued Contributor

Rehab is only for student loans that are in current default status (I believe).  So if you are currently making payments, this would not apply to you.

If you are having problems with the payments (amounts too high), you can contact your servicer and see about IBR, etc.  If your servicer is Navient (Sallie Mae) goto their website and/or phone them.  They are very helpful.  Even if they are not your servicers, read up anyhow first.  Also read up on the student loan section of this website.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.