Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinsertion question

tag
ak129132
Established Member

Reinsertion question

Hi All,

I recently had a collection for a dental bill pop up on my report. I paid the CA who offered to delete the TL and sent me a letter saying so.

I waited for some time and being impatient,  I disputed the item on Experian as "paid in full".  So it seems like the delete was sent by the CA and it was just taking time to update.

However, a few days after that, it was gone from my Equifax report and then finally from TU. It was also removed from Experian as well. However, the dispute status on Experian is pending.

Can this item show up again on my credit reports, especially on EQ and TU since they were deleted by the CA voluntarily?

Thanks

AK

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Reinsertion question

Do you know if it was the dispute that removed them or the CA that did?

Message 2 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you disputed, it would depend upon what was disputed.

Did you dispute their failure to have updated the status to paid in full, or did you dispute on the basis that the debt collector was required to delete on the basis that the debt was paid in full?

If the former, that would be referred by the CRA to the debt collector for their verification.

However, if the later, the CRA would most likely terminate the dispute based on no inaccuracy alleged in their prior reporting per se, and that deletion is not justified on the basis fo payment of the debt.  In that case, there would be no pending lack of verification of the dispute by the debt collector, and thus no restritction against their reinsertion.

In either event, you need to know how the dispute was concluded. 

in any dispute, the CRA is obligated to have either have sent you a Notice of Results of Reinvestigation within after conclusion of the 30 day reinvestigation period, or else sent a notice that the dispute was dismissed for lack of any inaccuracy.

You would need their results of the dispute in order to determine how ti was concluded, and thus any restrictions upon reinsertion.

They are in violation of FCRA 611(a) if it has been more than 30 days plus mailing time since your dispute and they have not notified you of the results.

Message 3 of 9
ak129132
Established Member

My guess is that they were deleted simply because I paid and the CA agreed to delete. I did not dispute EQ or TU but they were deleted from there too. Also, I noticed that they were deleted from EQ 2 days after I disputed on EX, so I assume my guess is right.

I disputed with EX as "PAID in FULL"  which was the closest option on their online dispute system which clearly was the case since they were showing it as unpaid while I had already paid it.

I am just afraid that even though the CA had agreed to delete the report and and kept their word, they might simply put it back on all three CRs in the process of responding to the dispute.

Message 4 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the dispute was of the inaccuracy in having updating to show paid, then they could simply report with the corrrect status, which is an option to verifing the accuracy of the old reporting. The dispute would be resolved in favor of the consumer, and thus there would be no unverified information that would require pre-certification of accuracy before it could be reinserted.  Any reinsertion restriction would only apply if their new reporting still contained the old, prior status as unpaid.

However, it is highly doubtful that they would want to reinsert their reporting, as it would serve no business/collection purpose on a paid debt, and would subject them to continued FCRA disputes.  No reporting means no disputes, and they can simply close their books.

Message 5 of 9
ak129132
Established Member

Thank you, if they do update, do they usually update all the credit bureaus or do they update only the agency reporting it by re inserting it?

Message 6 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 7 of 9
ak129132
Established Member

Thanks all, keeping my fingers crossed now and hope it's gone forever.

Message 8 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The more important issue, in my opinion, is that you have now satisfied the debt.

Still having unpaid, delinquent debt can, aside from any credit reporting or scoring issues,  still be the kiss of death in future endeavors for credit.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.