Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Released/Withdrawn Tax Liens and reporting issues

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Released/Withdrawn Tax Liens and reporting issues

So I have 3 federal tax liens (essentially the same lien recorded in 3 different counties, in 3 different states where I own property). 

The liens report on all 3 CRAs.

I had two others liens previously, so I am familiar with the reporting, releases and withdrawals.  My first two were pieces of cake, these 3...

After a long battle, we reached a mutually agreeable number (this was not an OIC) and I paid the liens off 7/7/15.

Releases were promptly issued 7/15/15 and recorded 7/27/15.

I promptly filed my 12277 request for withdrawal on 7/28/15 which I expect to be received and recorded sometime around 10/15/15.

In the mean time, the releases have begun to report.

EX is handling them correctly and marking the liens released

Interestingly, when all 3 were marked released, I received a 13 point boost on EX FICO 8 and 23 point boost on EX 98 (FICO 2), no other changes.

EQ recorded a release as a new lien.  I had good luck last time with EQ online. I quickly disputed online with an explanation/documentation of the "duplication" and they corrected it in a matter of hours.

EQ recorded a second release as a new lien 3 days later.  I quickly disputed online with an explanation/documentation and they have now "verified" both entries.

EQ now has 4 liens reported (3 originals, plus a release recorded as a lien), no score changes

I expect the last release to pop up any day now.

TU is marking the original lien paid and then recording a new lien for each of the releases.

I called on this as I had good luck with TU on the phone last time following up with a fax.

This time the CSR seemed to completely understand the issue, but was unable to do anything other than "dispute" it.

This CSR suggested I file an online dispute and fax in my documentation.

The dispute has come back as all "verified"

TU now has 5 liens reporting (3 originals, plus 2 releases recorded as a lien), no score changes

I expect the last release to pop up any day now.

Maybe I should have let them all report and fought this battle when the withdrawals are received, but I just could not stand watching new liens added for releases.

Suggestions?  Do I keep fighting the incompetence now or just wait for the withdrawals and fight the battle then?

EDITED: to insert point boosts after a report pull in the event anyone searches the archives for tax liens

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Released Tax Liens awaiting withdrawal and reporting issues.

If this was happening to me I would not be happy but at the same time I would not be putting in the effort to get them corrected as the big pie of withdrawal is coming. Effort would be better spent elsewhere.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Released/Withdrawn Tax Liens and reporting issues.

I continue to battle the idiocy at EQ over these tax liens that are withdrawn.

The progression goes something like this.

I have 3 tax liens reporting as unpaid.

A release is issued  for all three and recorded.

EQ records a release as a new tax lien and a new line item under public records and now I have 4-6 tax liens reporting.

I dispute online with a polite letter expalning their mistake that the lien is released, an explanation of how liens work a copy of each document.

1-9 days later, EQ corrects their mistake on each of the liens.

A withdrawal is issued and recorded for 2 of the 3 tax liens.

In order to clean up my credit report, I dispute online, with another polite letter explaining the lien has been withdrawn, the prior confirmation number and a copy of the withdrawal notices.

1-9 days later, EQ corrects their mistake on the 2 liens and removes them from the report.

Today, I get alerts and EQ is now reporting the withdrawals as new liens!

I am sure I can correct this in another 1-9 days by disputing online by sending a polite letter.

EX has it right and it took them about 10 days to fix everything right the first time, TU has it right and it takes them 14 days to correct their errors, they were also reporting a release as a new lien.

Is there any way to stop the continued mishandling of these public records at EQ?

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I continue to battle the idiocy at EQ over these tax liens that are withdrawn.

The progression goes something like this.

I have 3 tax liens reporting as unpaid.

A release is issued  for all three and recorded.

EQ records a release as a new tax lien and a new line item under public records and now I have 4-6 tax liens reporting.

I dispute online with a polite letter expalning their mistake that the lien is released, an explanation of how liens work a copy of each document.

1-9 days later, EQ corrects their mistake on each of the liens.

A withdrawal is issued and recorded for 2 of the 3 tax liens.

In order to clean up my credit report, I dispute online, with another polite letter explaining the lien has been withdrawn, the prior confirmation number and a copy of the withdrawal notices.

1-9 days later, EQ corrects their mistake on the 2 liens and removes them from the report.

Today, I get alerts and EQ is now reporting the withdrawals as new liens!

I am sure I can correct this in another 1-9 days by disputing online by sending a polite letter.

EX has it right and it took them about 10 days to fix everything right the first time, TU has it right and it takes them 14 days to correct their errors, they were also reporting a release as a new lien.

Is there any way to stop the continued mishandling of these public records at EQ?

Theres a reason many of us refer to them as Equisux.... or worse.

I would give them one more chance to correct the info, then get serious - as in informing them that they are clearly in violation of the law, they have been provided proof of withdrawal multiple times and have failed to correct their information, and such violation may make them liable for fines and dmaages should you choose to seek redress in court..

Message 4 of 10
OMW2_HighAcheiver
Established Contributor

Re: Released/Withdrawn Tax Liens and reporting issues

Norman is about NO GAMES! I love it! Hahahahahahaha

Message 5 of 10
redbeard
Frequent Contributor

I'm going to guess here a bit.....

With changes happening pretty quickly on top of the disputes you have filed, one thing conflicts with the other and suddenly the computer gets confused on what it is supposed to do.

I would suggest letting the dust settle for a week to 10 days, assuming all of the withdrawals are done.  Once those appear on the report, then dispute what needs to be fixed.  I wouldn't get to much into what the lien is, just dispute saying 'duplicate'.  

Of course, I'm impatient as well Smiley Happy

Dan

Just trying to get my scores to rise from the dead......

Wait.... I think I just heard a heartbeat!

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish I could be as BassA$$ as Norman - he doesn't put up with anything!!!  Someday I'll be like that! 

Message 7 of 10
OMW2_HighAcheiver
Established Contributor

Me too jlynn. I'm about to strong arm ALL these CA(s)!

Message 8 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If it is felt that you have a documented showing of the CRA not taking reasonable precautions to assure the accuracy of your credit report, I would shoot off a formal complaint to the Consumer Finance Protections Bureau (CFPB), who has administrative enforcement authority over the FCRA and the CRA responsibility to assure accuracy in credti reports they issue.

It may come to civil action against the CRA, but I would first obtain an investigation and hopeful remedy from the  CFPB.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for your help.

Unfortunately "duplicate" is not one of the choices at EQ for a tax lien.

Its "verify," "paid/satisfied/released," "withdrawn/vacated/filed in error" for choices

As to the time frame:

I have been doing my best to "let the dust settle" as the releases are from 7/29 and withdrawals from 9/23

How hard can it be for them to read the word "withdrawal" at the top of the paper?

I suspect I can resolve it with another politely worded letter, but the repeated mishandling of the public records by EQ is what bothers me.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.