Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Released judgment updated as paid judgment

tag
k_dub01
Valued Member

Released judgment updated as paid judgment

In July 2011 I got behind on rent. The apartment complex filed eviction, however I paid a couple days before the court date. The property manager never filed for release, I moved at the end of my term in Oct 2011 and was never evicted.. Fast forward to Nov 2012 and I get an alert of a new judgment. I happen to keep all my receipts and went through the process of getting the cashed money order receipts and speaking to the apts and county clerk. The apartments thankfully filed the release of judgment and I have the copy. Now, instead of it being removed from TU an EQ, they update as "paid civil judgment." How should I go about getting this removed? Do I need to send the credit bureaus a copy of the release?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Released judgment updated as paid judgment

Released and paid are the same thing.

To get it removed you need to know if your state allows for a judgment to be vacated based on satisfaction.  If they do, see if the plaintiff/attorney will file the motion.  If not you can do it yourself.

Message 2 of 5
k_dub01
Valued Member

Thanks guiness. I'm in TX so I'm not sure but I'm Def going to look into it. I'm still upset that its even on there..
Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It's like any other reporting of adverse information along the road of the debt, such as monthly delinquencies, charge-offs and collections.

Ultimate payment of the debt does not negate the fact that the reported item occured.

That is the very type of information that the credit reporting system is intended to provide to others reviewing a consumer's payment history.

Message 4 of 5
gregcurryesq
Established Member

@k_dub01 wrote:
In July 2011 I got behind on rent. The apartment complex filed eviction, however I paid a couple days before the court date. The property manager never filed for release, I moved at the end of my term in Oct 2011 and was never evicted.. Fast forward to Nov 2012 and I get an alert of a new judgment. I happen to keep all my receipts and went through the process of getting the cashed money order receipts and speaking to the apts and county clerk. The apartments thankfully filed the release of judgment and I have the copy. Now, instead of it being removed from TU an EQ, they update as "paid civil judgment." How should I go about getting this removed? Do I need to send the credit bureaus a copy of the release?

I have a different question. Your landlord brought an eviction proceeding. You paid (in full I assume) "before the court date". Ultimately, you have a release of judgment showing on your report. My question is how can there be a judgment against you when you paid the past due amount in full, prior to whatever court date? If you paid the landlord in full, prior to a court deadline, then judgment MAY have been improperly entered against you in the first place. Which could give you grounds for vacating the judgment. 

I suspect you paid the landlord, the landlord never told their attorneys, and the landlord got a default against you because you never showed up in court.

What you should have done was go to court on that court date and told the judge you paid the past due amount in full, with proof of payment. Then the eviction proceeding would have been dismissed.

Long Island, NY. **The views expressed by me on this site are my opinions only, are not intended to constitute legal advice, should not be relied on as legal advice, and are not intended to create any attorney-client relationship.**
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.