cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remark from creditor saying account is closed, but account isn't closed - impacts?

tag
jbkosman

Remark from creditor saying account is closed, but account isn't closed - impacts?

Hi everyone -

I have a Banana Republic credit card (backed by Synchrony Bank) that was closed by them because an automated payment from my bank bounced. Right now in my credit report, the account is listed as an open account with a balance, paying as agreed, but a note in the remarks stating the account was closed by the creditor. Couple questions:

Has anyone had experience getting Synchrony Bank to re-open the account and if so what did you do?

Anyone know whether the status I stated results in a negative hit on the score?

Thanks. JK

Credit 600 on major 3
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Remark from creditor saying account is closed, but account isn't closed - impacts?

I can't answer on behalf of reopening the account.

Wether they closed or you closed it will not make a difference on your score. It may be questioned during a Manuel review which is a slim chance.

Just 0 out the balance.
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Remark from creditor saying account is closed, but account isn't closed - impacts?

If the account is closed, once it reaches $0 balance it will be removed from util scoring.

That will have a scoring effect.

You will lose the credit limit of that card in the denominator of your overall % util calculation.

You will also have one less revolving in the calculation of the % of cards reporting a balance each month.

I would call and plead that the nature of the delinquency was an administrative thing, and not as a direct fault of yours.

I would make that call to someone in their exec. offices.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.