Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removal as Authorized User

tag
ToneDeaf75

Removal as Authorized User

Hi all-

I'm Anthony, a 30-year-old who is trying to rebuild my credit. Here's my specific question: Is it wise to remove myself as an authorized user from a gas card - opened in 2002 - that has since been closed because of delinquency on my parents' behalf?

Basically, does the positive effect of the removal of the closed account, which still has debt remaining on it, outweight the negative effect on the age of my credit history once I'm no longer associated with the card? According to Credit Karma, the average age of my credit history is 6 years, 6 months, which the site grades as a "B." Removing my oldest line of credit certainly reduce that average.

Thanks for the help,

Anthony 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Removal as Authorized User

@ToneDeaf75 wrote:

Hi all-

I'm Anthony, a 30-year-old who is trying to rebuild my credit. Here's my specific question: Is it wise to remove myself as an authorized user from a gas card - opened in 2002 - that has since been closed because of delinquency on my parents' behalf?

Basically, does the positive effect of the removal of the closed account, which still has debt remaining on it, outweight the negative effect on the age of my credit history once I'm no longer associated with the card? According to Credit Karma, the average age of my credit history is 6 years, 6 months, which the site grades as a "B." Removing my oldest line of credit certainly reduce that average.

Thanks for the help,

Anthony 

If its showing as a positive to you leave it alone, if its showing negatives (late payments etc) have it removed. AAoA is a small part of FICO, Payment history is much bigger. If an account is showing negative it is always best to remove it.

Message 2 of 4
ToneDeaf75

Thanks for the reply.

The card is closed and reports one missed payment. It also has been over the credit limit for years despite my mother's monthly payments per her agreement. Neither are positive things. I'm just unsure how much of a negative impact it is having.

Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@ToneDeaf75 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

The card is closed and reports one missed payment. It also has been over the credit limit for years despite my mother's monthly payments per her agreement. Neither are positive things. I'm just unsure how much of a negative impact it is having.

I would have this removed from your reports, you can call the CRAs (if you have a report number) and ask that it be done, otherwise write a letter to each.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.