Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removal of AU status on a CO?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removal of AU status on a CO?

Before I make a wrong move I wanted to get some advice on how to proceed. I am an AU on DW Chase account that was a Charge Off account that was "settled for less" in May 2013. It is currently showing a removal date of 6/2019. Can I get this removed from my reports by disputing with CA as "not responsible for account"?

Does my DW need to contact Chase and have me removed on the closed account before I dispute with CA?

Is there any negative in disputing this?

Thanks for any help!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Removal of AU status on a CO?

Yes you can
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can.  I tried disputing a CO that was from a credit card of my husband's that I was an AU on that was listed on my credit reports.  I couldn't get it removed that way and it came back verified.  I had to call the issuer and have myself removed as an AU first and then refiled the dispute.  It was removed after that.  

Message 3 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I've dealt with this in the past and have also helped a couple of relatives deal with it, and it was relatively painless (as 'painless' as dealing with a credit bureau can be... LOL).

In my case and those of my relatives, we went the credit bureau route (disputed due to "not my account") and it was successful. 

You might also try going to the issuer (as was also suggested); in my own case since the debt had been sold it was simpler to go directly to the bureaus, but as always YMMV.

Good luck!  Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You consent, by havng yourself designated as an AU, to posting of an account to your credit file that is not yours.

Any AU account is, by definition, not yours.

Thus, there is no inaccuracy in the reporting, and a dispute is not the way to handle it.

You get the creditor to remove the reporting as an AU.

Message 5 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@RobertEG wrote:

You consent, by havng yourself designated as an AU, to posting of an account to your credit file that is not yours.

Thus, there is no inaccuracy in the reporting, and a dispute is not the way to handle it.

Hmm... that's an interesting way to look at it, but I disagree with your logic.

It's actually possible (I've even seen it done) for one to be an authorized user on an account without even being aware of it, and without his/her social security number ever being provided to the issuer.  By definition, an authorized user is not responsible for the debt, thus it makes no sense that once an account is closed or charged off for the account to continue to report for an AU.  Another way to think of it is that while the account is open the AU is 'authorized' to make purchases, but once the account is closed that authorization becomes 'moot'.

I respect your opinion, but I still feel that once the account is closed the "not my account" option is indeed valid - and factual -  since the account does not (and never did) belong to the AU.  I'll also reiterate that this method has worked for me and family members in the past with no push-back from either the credit bureaus or the issuers.

Message 6 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You can certainly file a dispute stating "not mine" if you choose.

Howver, the creditor can verify if they choose.

The creditor can  respond by verifying the accuracy of their reporting, agreeing that it is "not yours" but verifying that they have the right to report it based on the consent of their account holder.

Filing a dispute might work in some cases, but they can legitimately veriify if they choose, and it is best, in my opinion, to deal with the real issue..... simply remove the AU status and reporting.

Message 7 of 12
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

Hmm... that's an interesting way to look at it, but I disagree with your logic.

It's actually possible (I've even seen it done) for one to be an authorized user on an account without even being aware of it, and without his/her social security number ever being provided to the issuer.  By definition, an authorized user is not responsible for the debt, thus it makes no sense that once an account is closed or charged off for the account to continue to report for an AU.  Another way to think of it is that while the account is open the AU is 'authorized' to make purchases, but once the account is closed that authorization becomes 'moot'.

I respect your opinion, but I still feel that once the account is closed the "not my account" option is indeed valid - and factual -  since the account does not (and never did) belong to the AU.  I'll also reiterate that this method has worked for me and family members in the past with no push-back from either the credit bureaus or the issuers.

I validate this assumption.  I have a pseudo employee, whom I wish to make AU on two of my cards (one business, one personal).  She filed bankruptcy awhile back, and I introduced her to cap one a bit ago, she is doing good.  I will be limiting  her charges on both cards, she gets her own log in and pay status.  BUT, if it gets out of hand, I am responsible.  Consequently, I only allow enough that my savings could comfortably cover.  

If if I was to go rogue, so to speak, they would not chase after her in anyway.  Since they do not allow card holders with bks, but they do allow AU, as long as she has not gone bad on them before.  In a charge off situation, both cards should not be on her reports.

Signature needs updating
Message 8 of 12
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

You can certainly file a dispute stating "not mine" if you choose.

Howver, the creditor can verify if they choose.

The creditor can  respond by verifying the accuracy of their reporting, agreeing that it is "not yours" but verifying that they have the right to report it based on the consent of their account holder.

Filing a dispute might work in some cases, but they can legitimately veriify if they choose, and it is best, in my opinion, to deal with the real issue..... simply remove the AU status and reporting.

Robert, the card holder does not give consent when being added as AU.  I can add AU without them even being present.  ALL my cards (well, unsure of barclays).  It's how some cheat with Chase for bonus by adding fake AUs..   My card company offered to add the AU right now last night, and all I needed was a social and address.  Some cards do not even report AUS on their report (business cards come to mind).

Signature needs updating
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will there be any issues if I contact Chase? As stated earlier the account has already been settled but will not come of CB until 2019. I don't want to poke the bear....

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.