Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove Derogatory Student Loans from Credit Merge

tag
JennMS
New Visitor

Remove Derogatory Student Loans from Credit Merge

It's a very long story that's been going on since 2008.  Short version:  My credit was merged with someone that shares the same name as me.  I found out about a year or so after it happened.  Many creditors received my address, phone number, husband's name, etc. from out joint credit report.  I had access to her social, she had access to mine.

During this process, I had a handful of student loans show up on my credit that didn't belong to me.  They were to schools i never attended.  1 was for a school I did attend, but was for 18 months prior to when I actually attended.  I fought them for YEARS.  My state representative informed me (as well as the student loan companies) that if I paid on them, I was acknowledging they were mine; so I didn't.  I sent in numerous letters stating they weren't mine, filled out the appropriate paperwork, got letters from my school and transcripts showing that I didn't attend on the dates they had loans for, even received letters from the schools that I didn't attend stating that I didn't attend that school.  They always came back with the same result, pay them anyway.  In the end, they garnished my wages and took my husband's tax refund, so I gave in and consolidated ALL of them (grumble grumble).  I did that about a year or two ago.  I've been making my payments on time every month, and my credit score is decent (with the occasional thing that pops up with the other girls information, but I'm able to get that deleted fairly quickly).

My question is...During the disputing process, all of my student loans were in default because they were all grouped together in clusters, and if you pay on one cluster you are acknowledging the debt of all.  There are so  many that are derogatory; and I'd love to know if it's possible to get those derogatory marks eliminated?  If so, how do I go about doing this?  My husband and I would like to buy a house, but these marks put me right under where I need to be credit score wise.  I'd like to not wait 5 or 6 years.

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.