cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove Late Payments HELP!

tag
bkchild78

Remove Late Payments HELP!

I am an expert at removing collection accounts; however, when it comes to late payments I am not so good. Last year I had a stroke and suffered from a brain anuerysm. I purchased credit protection on almost all of my accounts but some of them still reporting me late even though the insurance was making the payments. I have began to file complaints with the FDIC on those accounts and have had some success with getting fees back and even refunds of premiums but not late removlas although I asked for that in my complaint. Some of the protections didn't cover it because of probationary periods but after the complaints NFCU went back in and back and approved the claim and paid all the accounts that were on the program. It's been a mess. But I need some help especially on the ones I did not have protection with like Target, Firestone, Merrick Bank and getting NFCU to now remove those lates. My most challenging one will be the RBFCU accts where protection wasn't offered. I've sent good will letters and all accts are current now but no success. Any other ideas? I just want my credit back. I am back to work and I am reeady to get my life back, my credit is my life. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Remove Late Payments HELP!

Welcome to the forums.

So sorry for your situation.

The best advice I could give would be to send a letter to each President of the company, CEO or what ever they call them.  Thoroughly explain what happened and ask them to remove the late payments.

Do you have proof the protection insurance was making on time payments?

Message 2 of 23
bkchild78

Wow....I didn't think of that. Thank you so very much! No, I do not have proof they were paying on time, but I did find a statute in regard to the process of the claims & payments. Just in case anyone else has this issue I will post it here. Since it was sold to me by them and they get a commission for selling it, this issue falls under the Deceptive Trade Practices. This is what I used to get NFCU to honor the insurance. I mean obviously you purchase it to protect your credit and if it still reports late payments, it doesn't do what it promises to do. What was the point of paying all of those preimums if it doesn't do just that? Here's the statute:

According to civil code Section 1812.400-1812.410 If a creditor participates in the sale of credit disability insurance to the debtor, or that creditor’s successor in interest, a creditor is not to invoke a creditor’s remedy because of a debtor’s nonpayment of any sum which has become due during a period of disability until a reasonable time has passed for the disability insurance claim to be filed, verified and processed. 

That's just part of it, but one of the important parts. It also states that refunds of late fees and backdating the payments is required. If payments are backdated that should cover the late payments. I've added this code to my letter to NFCU. If they do not update the report, I will respond to their response stating that is what needs to happen before I consider the complaint resolved. I will add this to the letters to the CEO as well. This has happened to me before and my complaint with the FDIC had a CEO calling me on the phone apologizing and telling me about his mother and her illness. He removed the tradeline and sent me all of my late fees and overpayments back. If anyone knows who the CEO is at Target and their contact info please let me know! Thanks again!

Message 3 of 23
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If you haven't already, you can try googling them.  It may take some searching effort but you can probably find them.  Look for the corporate office.

Message 4 of 23
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If they are credit cards, you can file a complaint with them under the Fair Credit Billing Act (FCBA) over any issues of account billing and payment, which has strong time periods and discovery rights.

Message 5 of 23
pctatc

I would love your help on getting a collections removed since your the expert, are u game? This one is a doozy
Message 6 of 23
bkchild78

Hit me! I will do my best! I had 19 of them by the time my disability was done and got them all removed but one. When I started rebuilding the first time, same thing. Also include what state you're in please.
Message 7 of 23
bkchild78

I did not know that! Thank you! If I don't get the response I'm looking for with these letters that will be my next step. Yes all but 1 are credit cards. Thanks again!
Message 8 of 23
pctatc

Im in Virginia. Have a collections with Verizon for $228 from aug 2011 i have disputed multiple times always comes back verified. Sent a PFD to Verizon and received no reponse, when i called to ask them about it, they said it was released to the CBE Group and they couldnt do anything about it but CBE group doesnt show on my credit report. I dont want to send a DV to CBE cause im afraid they will update it to my CR. Any thoughts? Thanks again!
Message 9 of 23
bkchild78

I'm sorry, I didn't get a notification that you responded! I just dealt with both of them and finally got Verizon removed in March but both of them were reporting. I sent a DV to CBE in Aug 2012, waited a couple days for them to get it, then disputed it. It came off my first try. In my experience, when I send a DV letter to a collection agency, they take it off my credit report until its validated with the OC. Verizon didn't respond to their request to validate it so I never had to deal with CBE again until Dish sent an account there that wasn't valid and I disputed it over the phone and the girl that helped me even said this debt didn't add up so I never heard from them again. Now the Verizon one was a little trickier. I sent a DV to them at least 3 times with no response. So I found a phone number and asked to speak to the dept that reports to the credit. I explained to her that I had no idea about this debt I received no notice which by law they have to send you something. She had no record of my DV's so she asked that I fax it. I paid the acct & faxed it along with a letter asking them to remove it. I disputed it again and it was removed. Now I know that's time consuming, but I got both of them off. Verizon won't budge until u pay it though so pay Verizon not CBE. Another way to get stuff removed is through the address because that's how they verify ownership. Lastly, stop using the generic dispute methods they list. If you dispute online use other reason and type in the exact reason, make them work because if you just say "not mine" then they will just verify the address & basic info and keep reporting it. Review the data contained in the report regarding the account and dispute everything that isn't correct and fax that dispute to them. I just got my BK off of TU by just pointing out all the little things that were inaccurate about that entry. Verizon's phone numbers: 877-325-5156 ask for the dept that handles CB reporting. Their fax is 1-866-605-5559 that's directly to the CB reporting dept. after I faxed my DV I disputed it again and it was removed. The issue was that they weren't getting my mailed DV's. I hope this helps!

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.