Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove judgment

tag
kimball00
Valued Member

Remove judgment

Does anyone know if a judgment can be removed from my credit report? What is the process? Do I ask the law firm that placed it on my account?

Thank you

Hi kimball00 and welcome to the forums.

I took the liberty of correcting the spelling in your title. It is possible to edit your own post if you have posted an incomplete message or need to fix a typo (which I have to do quite frequently  Smiley Happy  ). To edit your post, go to the post. To the right you'll see "Options." Click on "Options" and select "Edit Message" from the drop-down menu. If you need any help with anything, let me know.

--MarineVietVet, myFICO moderator

MyFico: Equifax:
643 9/5/12
629 7/23/12
618 8/7/12

GOAL: 700 by 1/1/13
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
hdrider07
Regular Contributor

Re: Remove judgment

Hello.  Yes it can be removed, you would need the law firm to file a motion to vacate the judgment.  If you have already paid the judgment you will probably have to offer to pay them the cost to file the motion.  Once vacated you can then have it removed from your reports.

Message 2 of 15
2NE1
Established Contributor

Has your judgment been satisfied or not?

Message 3 of 15
kimball00
Valued Member

Here's the brief synopsis. They law firm was granted a judgment and then my law firm negotiated a settlement. So it is paid and the transaction is complete. I was never ordered by the court or a judge to pay anything, the law firm accepted my offer for payment. According to my law firm, I am supposed to wait 45 days for a receipt or release letter and then my law firm will file a motion to vacate the judgment. Does sound like something anyone has experienced?

643 9/5/12
629 7/23/12
618 8/7/12

Message 4 of 15
kimball00
Valued Member

Thank you for the edit! I just found the "spell check" buttion! =)

643 9/5/12
629 7/23/12
618 8/7/12

Message 5 of 15
2NE1
Established Contributor

I don't know about the '45 day wait' but having your lawyer file a motion to vacate is the right track to get the judgment removed off your CRs.
Message 6 of 15
hippychic823
Regular Contributor

How about a medical judgement filed by a hospital (I'm not really sure who their lawyer was) that was PIF....can that be removed???
Message 7 of 15
kimball00
Valued Member

I got a letter from the law firm working with AmEx stating that a filing of "satisfaction of judgment" has been sent to the Court. Will this remove the judgment from my CRs? Or, do I still need to file a motion to vacate the judgment?

Thanks!

643 9/5/12
629 7/23/12
618 8/7/12

Message 8 of 15
kimball00
Valued Member

Here's an update with a few questions..

I negotiated an AmEx account with the law firm they hired. They filed the satisfaction of judgment with the court and it now finally appears on at least my EQ report (unfortunately did not change my score). Can I file a motion to vacate because it has been satisfied? Will they sue for remainder that was negotiated? I am not sure really how to go about getting it removed. Should I just dispute it with the credit bureaus and see if they remove it since it was satisfied?

Thanks for the help!

643 9/5/12
629 7/23/12
618 8/7/12

Message 9 of 15
lecorps4fun
Valued Member

I had a satisfied judgement removed from my report simply by disputing it online.  The reason I selected was "not mine".  Why? well, the amount on my report was a bit different than what the court was reported.  Once you dispute it, the court has 30 days to verify or the CA has to delete.  My judgement was deleted from all 3 CRA just by using an online dispute.  Note: this does not remove it from your record.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.