Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removed collection put back on report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removed collection put back on report

I did hippa process on a unknown medical collection it failed so I did a complaint with BBB and it was removed within a week.
Now it's been over a month and it's back on my report.
Curious as how I should proceed?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Removed collection put back on report

It is stated that it was an "unknown collection."

What do you mean by "unknown"?

Do you contest the debt?

If so, did you ever send a request for debt validation or assert that the unkown debt resulted from identity theft?

What was the basis for your BBB complaint, and what was the response of the debt collector?

Reinsertion is permitted the same as any normal reporting unless the information being reinserted was previously deleted based on a finding in a dispute that the accuracy could not be verified.

Details of the facts of the collection are needed in order to evaluate next steps.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I did send debt validation to the CA they never responded. I went through the hippa process I don't know if you're familiar with it, but failed.
The BBB complaint was just stating that I asked for DV and never received any. The CA came back with a statement that it's 5 years old and the FCRA doesn't require them to, but in goodwill they will send me one anyways. A week later i received a letter with my name and amount owed and the collection was gone from report.

It wasn't removed due to inaccurate.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I contest the debt I have no knowledge of this collection
Message 4 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you are willing to place your assertion that you never authorized the debt that they are attempting to collect into a sworn police report, then you can pusue the identity theft process to have it blocked from your credit report.

See the sticky post in the upper section of the General Credit Topics forum for a detailed discussion of the identity theft process.

As for the BBB complaint asserting lack of validation, they are correct in their statement that there is no requirement under the FDCPA that a debt collector provide debt validation.  The requirement is that they must cease active collection until they have first provided validation.

However, since they have now done so, then issues of validation are apparently moot.

If you have a legit unpaid debt and the debt collector has legit collection authority, then they have the right to report their collection to the CRAs.

The other alternative to attempting removal is to make the new debt collector a pay for deletion offer.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same debt collector and there a real pain. Messed up thing is my score dropped more when added back then I actually gained from it being removed.
Message 6 of 12
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

The score boost you get by having something removed depends on your reports. If you still have other baddies it won't be much of a boost. When a baddie is added or updated (regardless of the DoFD, as long as it's within the credit reporting period) it appears as a new collection even if it has been on your reports a dozen times.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Same debt collector and there a real pain. Messed up thing is my score dropped more when added back then I actually gained from it being removed.

As RobertEG indicated, if you know its not yours, then use FCRA 605B to get it removed. The debt collector is not involved in the process at all, only the CRA's.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

So they say I owe 400 they've already refused a PFD. What if I call them and tell them that it's not mine but I want it gone I'll give you 200 for PFD or I'm filing a police report?
Message 9 of 12
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

I'd just file the report and be done with it as long as you're certain it's not yours.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.