Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing A Satisfied Judgment

tag
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Removing A Satisfied Judgment

So in 2008 I was evicted from an apartment complex and was sued, an lost.... I settled with the colleciton company, and a Satisfaction of Judgment was obtained. The judgment was listed as satisfied with the courts. This is how it shows on the public record, and on my credit report.

I pretty much stopped working on it, but then today I starting thinking of ways I could remove this....

This next part is directed towards those with experience removing, or people with some legal know-how

I stumbled upon this online, its a quote from a Chicago Tribune article, pertaining to Illinois (where I live) and remove satisfied judgments:

Chicago Tribune
How does renter rectify entry on credit report?
A. The only thing you can do is to file a motion, based upon a
satisfaction of the judgment, to vacate the judgment entered against
you.

"There are two methods for vacating satisfied judgments and having the
cases dismissed. The management company is required to file a
Satisfaction of Judgment form with the court for all satisfied
judgments, and one of the forms available contains a place for a judge
to automatically vacate the judgment and dismiss the action. If a
different satisfaction form was filed, or if no Satisfaction of
Judgment form was filed, you can either ask the management company's
attorney to provide you with one, or you can file a motion in the same
courtroom where the judgment was entered, explaining that the judgment
was satisfied and asking for a vacation of the judgment and a
dismissal of the case. In that case, you will be required to
demonstrate that you paid the judgment and court costs, and the best
proof of that would be a receipt from the management company or your
canceled check.

So... does this seem plausible? Does this seem easy? Is this something I can hire a lawyer to do or is it somehting that I can do on my own?

I'd really like to remove this from my credit file..

Thanks!

scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Re: Removing A Satisfied Judgment

Something that worked for me was:

• Disputing the PR with the CRA's.
  • Once it came back as verified, then sending a MOV
  • It was removed after the information I was looking for wasn't provided.

This has only worked on EQ so far...working on the other two have been a bit more difficult.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 2 of 6
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@injustifiiable wrote:

Something that worked for me was:

• Disputing the PR with the CRA's.
  • Once it came back as verified, then sending a MOV
  • It was removed after the information I was looking for wasn't provided.

This has only worked on EQ so far...working on the other two have been a bit more difficult.

I saw that on your earlier thread.. I think I might go that route second.. I am interested to see if anyone has an opinion about that reference quote... I wonder if its just that easy...

-scott

Message 3 of 6
2NE1
Established Contributor

I haven't gone thru this route yet but it is possible to get your satisfied judgement removed. First, you do not need to hire a lawyer. What you need to do is go to the court and ask the clerk for the paperwork required to file for a motion to vacate/dismiss a judgement. Find out how much the court fees are. Then, get a hold of the plaintiff's attorney and ask them if they can file the motion for you since you satisfied the debt (was it PIF??) if they disagree then offer to pay the fees for in exchange. I guess I might have to go this route to get EX to remove my judgment, EQ and TU simply removed it with the MOV letters.
Message 4 of 6
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@2NE1 wrote:
I haven't gone thru this route yet but it is possible to get your satisfied judgement removed. First, you do not need to hire a lawyer. What you need to do is go to the court and ask the clerk for the paperwork required to file for a motion to vacate/dismiss a judgement. Find out how much the court fees are. Then, get a hold of the plaintiff's attorney and ask them if they can file the motion for you since you satisfied the debt (was it PIF??) if they disagree then offer to pay the fees for in exchange. I guess I might have to go this route to get EX to remove my judgment, EQ and TU simply removed it with the MOV letters.

Thanks! Good advice. I just emailed my attorney to get her take on it..

-scott

Message 5 of 6
George888
New Contributor

Injustifiiable,

Can you please tell me what you mean by:  "Once it came back as verified, then sending a MOV"?

• Did you send the MOV to the CA or to the CRA?
  • Does it mean that you sent a MOV to the CA?  Which didn't respond, and then you disputed with the CRAs based on the non-response?
  • Or does it mean that you disputed it with the CRAs using MOV as your dispute reason?

Thanks,

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.