Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing Collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing Collections

I have 2 collections (2013 and 2015) only $562 and $435. These accounts are closed and paid off but on my CR as collections. Everytime I search for removing them I end up at "Pay for Delete" which is writing a lette to the collection agency. They tell me that I have to call the bureaus becasue they dont own it any more becasue it is closed. Is this true. is there a way to convince the 3 CBs to remove it?

thanks,

Brew

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Removing Collections

CRA policy clearly states that debt collectors are not to delete a reported collection based on payment of the debt.

No, the CRAs will not delete based on your having paid the debt.

Pay for delete no longer applies as you are no longer offering payment in exchange for their deletion.

Your recourse at this point is to request the debt collector to grant a voluntary good-will deletion, notwithstanding CRA policy that instructs them not to do so.

Message 2 of 6
Gramz
Contributor

I have 2 collection on my report as well that have been paid.  I send GW letter to my creditor but they are not budging.  I am about to send more goodwill letters to see if someone will delete it.  I was deployed at the time and didn't have access so I am stating that in my letter.  

My advice is to hammer them with GW letter and someone might have a heart and delete it off your CR. 

Gardening ‎10-13-2017

FICO 8[10-25-2017] EX: 706, EQ: 714, TU: 719
FICO 8[1-04-2018] EX: 714, EQ: 737, TU: 721
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! Goodwill Letters coming up!!!

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel your pain. I got 1 $85 paid collection I've been trying to get removed for 6 months. It's so annoying.
Good luck on your GW letters!!
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a $62 collection on my credit reports in February or so.  I called the collection agency maybe 5 times over a month to get them to PFD but they refused.  Then my credit reports updated to $0 "paid" even though I didn't give them a payment method or a penny.  Weird.

Immediately started a goodwill letter campaign using the saturation method -- amazing how many names you can find on LinkedIn even for CAs, lol.  Not sure how many letters I mailed, but probably around 25 along with 100s of emails to email addresses I randomly created (first name.last name at domain name is common).  2 or 3 months and it was deleted.

The oddest thing is that the OC (when I called them after deletion) says I paid it.  I know I didn't.  I can't figure that one out.  But they did send me a statement showing paid in full so it's in my file in case some future CA/JDB decides to come after me for $62 and re-reports.

Goodwill saturation isn't guaranteed.  It's exhausting AND the USPS stamps and envelopes add up overtime.  But so far, I have removed all my derogatory paid accounts completely.  If you can, set a weekly alarm on your phone to remind you to send a new batch out of goodwill request letters.  I always changed my letters/emails every week with little changes and included "I am contacting you again since I have no heard back and would like to request..."

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.