Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing Kohls from my credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing Kohls from my credit report

I'm digging into my credit report as I'm working through a divorce and wanting to clean up my financials. I've discovered there's a charge off for 548 from Kohls but also a revolving type credit. My report shows a past due balance of $1400... is this from Kohls (it doesn't specify, but kohls is the only other item listed that doesn't make sense to me) it's from 5 years ago! If I remember correctly that card only had a $300 balance, but I'm assuming it's significantly hurting my score, I need advice on how to proceed. Thank you!
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Removing Kohls from my credit report

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm digging into my credit report as I'm working through a divorce and wanting to clean up my financials. I've discovered there's a charge off for 548 from Kohls but also a revolving type credit. My report shows a past due balance of $1400... is this from Kohls (it doesn't specify, but kohls is the only other item listed that doesn't make sense to me) it's from 5 years ago! If I remember correctly that card only had a $300 balance, but I'm assuming it's significantly hurting my score, I need advice on how to proceed. Thank you!

Only thing I can think about is calling them and asking?

Have you pulled your annual credit report yet?

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Removing Kohls from my credit report

A charge-off is always linked to a specific account, and is an adverse item under that account.

Thus, it is unclear as to how a reported charge-off can be confused as to the account under which it was taken and reported.

Can you clarify exactly how the charge-off is reported?

Once a charge-off is reported, it remains as an adverse item under the account, regardless of whether paid or unpaid, and continues to affect scoring.

Exclusion is required from your credit report, and thus scoring, no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the date of first delinquency on the account with the original creditor, regardless of whether paid or unpaid.

Getting it removed earlier requires voluntary reporting of its deletion by the creditor.  You can make an offer to pay contingent upon their agreement to delete the reported charge-off. 

Grant of a pay for deletion (PFD) is totally voluntary on the part of the creditor, and the CRAs instruct creditors not to delete reporting based on payment of the debt, so they are usually hard to obtain.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.