Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing Late Payments on Student Loans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing Late Payments on Student Loans

I just went 2 for 2 in having the only 2 collections on my account completely removed. One was removed thanks to Collection Shield 360 and the other one accepted a pay-for-delete.

Now looking over my credit report hoping to clean up anything else that I can, I noticed that for a few months in 2011-2012 I had some late payments on a student loan. I really don't believe this to be the case at all and not sure how or why it's showing like that but does anyone know if it is possible to have these late payments changed to on-time payments? Could I do this with a goodwill letter? Is it even possible at all?

If I can get these late payments removed then my score while skyrocket when combined with the removal of all my collections and the other recent credit building activities I've been doing.

Thank you so much!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
tschaet
Regular Contributor

Re: Removing Late Payments on Student Loans

It's definitely possible to have them removed, but it will depend on who your loans are through.  Some are more lenient than others.  If it has been a bit since you have had a late payment and you're been paying in full and on-time for a bit (a year or so), then you'll be able to make your case better.  You can also try mentioning that you're willing to put your payments on automatic payments (if they aren't already).

I just recently got a company that covers two of my private loans to erase two years worth of late payments because I rehabbed the loan, have started paying on time, and sent them a letter admitting fault, explaining why I fell behind, etc.  For them, all they needed was some sort of proof of hardship at this time.  I showed them that my federal loans were in deferment/forbearance and they accepted that.  It bumped my score 71 points.

Good luck! 

$1700$2000
5/2022 Credit Karma Scores:

April 2022 FICO Scores:

May 2022 FICO Scores:
Message 2 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Do you have billing statements that show that the reported lates were not actually 30 days past the billing due date?

If so, you have basis for a dispute rather than requesting good-will removal......

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can anyone offer some suggestions? Would I just called the US Dept of Edu and ask them?
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same issue except for part of 2010 and part of 2011 (prior to BR).  They were late, and yes they were eventually paid off thru BR.  They were through WellsFargo.  I contacted them recently to see if they would lift the lates since it was so long ago and they were paid.  I actually thought it was going to work, but it didnt.  Now I just wait until May 2017 when they start dropping off due to time.

Message 7 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Reporting of delinquencies on federal student loans is mandated under the Higher Education Act, and good-will removal is not permitted unless removed under a sanctioned rehab program.  The Dept of Ed will not grant GW deletion.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.