cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing Medical Collections Without HIPPA process-need advice

tag
cat98037

Removing Medical Collections Without HIPPA process-need advice

I am in the process of cleaning up my credit. I have paid down a lot of debt, revolving and installment. However, I have some medical collections on my CR. I have validated the debt. I have verified who owns the debt...the CA. I am prepared to pay the debt in full in exchange to have the collection removed from my CR. I called one of the companies to get their address. I mentioned the PIF and was told that their company does not remove collections from a report, even if paid. What is my best recourse? Should I go ahead and send the PIF letters anyway? Should I send certified mail? Should I provide the CA with my full contact information? I would like the quickest way to resolve this as it seems that these are the remaining collections left in my CR. Any helpful advice appreciated.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Removing Medical Collections Without HIPPA process-need advice

If the CA does not remove paid collections you can just send the PIF's and once the payment has cleared you can send GW letters. Me personally I don't see the benefit of CA's leaving a tradeline on once a debt has been paid. 

DaBears

Message 2 of 4
KoolDev
Regular Contributor

I had one of my CA's removed like 7 seperate instances totalling about 850 bucks and then delete the TL.  But i have this one sucker that says OH NO, YOU DID IT and WE AINT REMOVING IT......   that was verbatim LOL.   So now i am on a quest to annoy them and help our failing postal system.

My Sock Drawer: Care Credit $4200-0, JCP 2100-0, Chase 3000-0, Chase Freedom $4500.00-0, WF $1000.00-0.00
In Use: NFCU Visa Sig $17.5k- 0.00k
I still have too MANY CARDS
Starting Score 538
Current Score Oct 30-14 701 fico Eq-- 745 Fico Tu-- 713 Fico Ex
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

No harm in sending a PFD, and certainly best chance of acceptance is to offer to PIF.

Only potential harm is that if the debt is still within SOL, which gives them their own option of initiating legal action to get a judgment for the full amount without any need for any other concessions.

They are most likely concerned with violating the terms of their reporting agreement with the CRAs, which instruct furnishers not to delete based on payment of a debt.

If they have expressed that policy to you, then best chance is to go up the mangement chain, and find a management official with discretion to grant an exception to their policy.   Underlings normally do not have such discretion.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.