Geppy

Removing Old Collection

Hi all, any help or advice with this is MUCH appreciated.  I've been struggling trying to get a collection off my credit.  A bit of history:

• The collection is for a "lease break" in 2007
  • I had a 6-month lease and planned leaving exactly after that (I was on a contract position for work and leaving after it was over)
  • I recently spoke with the land management company or the original creditor... they claimed I never gave a 30-days notice and the lease "rolled-over" to a month-to-month and I now owe for that.  They don't care that I returned my keys and told them I was moving out.
  • The collection has gone well past the statute of limitations (I can't be sued for it)
  • The amount I allegedly owe is now about $3,000 and the CA has sent me an offer to settle it (and remove from my credit) for $1,000
  • I have tried twice to dispute this on my credit reports (both times electronically) to no avail
  • The CA says they can go to storage after the 1st and validate the debt... I'm not sure how this would help me
  • The original creditor said I should write their bookeeper a letter so that they can do more research on the issue... I'm also not sure how this will help as I feel they'll just say that I "missed my 30-day notice of move out" (which is BS)

I'm trying to figure out what my options are now.  Do I write the credit reporting agencies and dispute this again (now that I have more information)?  I can't really afford to settle the debt for $1,000 right now, not to mention I don't feel it's the "right" thing to do since I never broke my lease and don't truly owe a debt here.  It feels really shady.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+